Let's make a concept of level/layer/elevation:
(1) each unit in any time have some elevation from the set (like, a number from 0 to 31, default is 16)
(2) cargo always has the same one as its transporter,
(3) when unit moves/unloads, an effect is triggered to set its elevation regarding target tile and its current one,
(4) some layers are marked as "navigated" and some another as "landing", slowinvasions is triggered by unloading from "navigated" to "landing",
(5) roads, bases and (concept needs further working around) cities may span only certain layers and have no speed/fuel effect on another ones,
(6) loading is an action with target requirement that may prohibit loading from another layer.
Thus, no manual control over changing layer (at least in this primary version, in this post I've describeda system that may be its further development). This helps both landing-from-trireme trick and making rockets unlandable. But this requires also working with the pathfinder, to make AI (and ourselves) not surprized by reaching a target and not being able to perform an action due to being at a wrong layer. Especially, if we make a rule
(7) Layers have enter and leave costs, different for moving to higher and to lower ones.
What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
1 post • Page 1 of 1