Make a Tileset from Scratch?

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Make a Tileset from Scratch?

Post by cazfi »

1: in tileset_read_toplevel() [../../../src/client/tilespec.c::1775]: Could not open '/fast/freeciv/rulesets/3rd/S2_6/data/RoundSkew.tilespec':
In secfile_from_input_file() [../../../src/utility/registry_ini.c:465]: secfile '/fast/freeciv/rulesets/3rd/S2_6/data/RoundSkew.tilespec' in section 'tilespec': Expected value
file "../../src/data/misc/colors.tilespec", line 1, pos 0
looking at: '[colors]'
included from file "/fast/freeciv/rulesets/3rd/S2_6/data/RoundSkew.tilespec", line 127
I've still had no opportunity to test on Windows to see if it behaves differently there, but maybe next week. Meanwhile note that above error for me comes already when launching the client, in initial validation of the tileset given as commandline parameter, before the client even reach the main menu.
I assume you've seen errors only when trying to launch an actual game (as topology compatibility is checked only when there's a selected map topology chosen to compare it against)
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

cazfi wrote:
1: in tileset_read_toplevel() [../../../src/client/tilespec.c::1775]: Could not open '/fast/freeciv/rulesets/3rd/S2_6/data/RoundSkew.tilespec':
In secfile_from_input_file() [../../../src/utility/registry_ini.c:465]: secfile '/fast/freeciv/rulesets/3rd/S2_6/data/RoundSkew.tilespec' in section 'tilespec': Expected value
file "../../src/data/misc/colors.tilespec", line 1, pos 0
looking at: '[colors]'
included from file "/fast/freeciv/rulesets/3rd/S2_6/data/RoundSkew.tilespec", line 127
I've still had no opportunity to test on Windows to see if it behaves differently there, but maybe next week. Meanwhile note that above error for me comes already when launching the client, in initial validation of the tileset given as commandline parameter, before the client even reach the main menu.
I assume you've seen errors only when trying to launch an actual game (as topology compatibility is checked only when there's a selected map topology chosen to compare it against)
Yes, that's correct. The "Topology Error" only came up when trying to start a game (technically, load a savegame).
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Tested on Windows, and I got essentially the same result as in Linux, but with more setup work. I had freeciv installation directory as the working directory when I run it (so it finds its data files), and had to direct log to another directory to where I have write permissions.

1) Downloaded official Windows gtk3-client installer package of freeciv-2.6.2.1 from http://www.freeciv.org/download.html
2) Installed it
3) Installed your RoundSkewBugged tileset within freeciv tree (should have installed it under user directory, but I had no time to figure out what is the FREECIV_DATA_PATH in Windows)
4) Opened Windows command prompt, and
4a) cd "C:\Program Files(x86)\Freeciv-2.6.2.1-gtk3"
4b) freeciv-gtk3.exe -t RoundSkew -l C:\Freeciv\rstest.log
-> Nothing visible happened, as freeciv failed immediately (before opening its window), and nothing comes to console in Windows.

The rstest.log files has the content one would assume there to be, after the Linux test.
rstest.log
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:
Hans Lemurson wrote:No luck on getting debug messages when launching freeciv-gtk3.exe from Windows PowerShell.
Right. There might be code making it to detach from the console in Windows (I think I've cursed such behavior in the past).
Not as good as seeing it to print messages to screen, but you may have better luck with writing log to a file with "-l <filename>" commandline parameter.
Interestingly, when I'm doing final build tests before 2.6.3 release, I noticed that S2_6 (freeciv-2.6) msys2 build of Qt-client does open a console window, and sure enough console output gets printed there, and is also available if you run freeciv-qt.exe in a console (tested with 'freeciv-qt.exe --help'). It doesn't happen with msys1 build, not with msys2 builds of other clients, or in later branches.