Art, worth it?

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Art, worth it?

Post by Ignatus »

Corbeau wrote:Oh, nice! Thanks!

I presume there is no particular magic with adding a unit image into the tileset? Just add the image into the main .png and add the unit name with the corresponding coordinates in the units.spec?
There are more sophisticated ways to do it, but yes, this one works.

And yes, thanks for the pictures!
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ignatus wrote:
Corbeau wrote:Oh, nice! Thanks!

I presume there is no particular magic with adding a unit image into the tileset? Just add the image into the main .png and add the unit name with the corresponding coordinates in the units.spec?
There are more sophisticated ways to do it, but yes, this one works.

And yes, thanks for the pictures!
If it doesn't involve specific knowledge of programming or installing some additional packages, do share.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

You can have in a

Code: Select all

[grid]
section a

tiles
table that reads from file.gfx by grid or

[extra]
sections that load sprites from separate files. These data are saved in arbitrary xxx.spec files in any data/ subdirectory, that should be listed in your_tileset.tilespec files table. And also there are

*include
directives. Not that I know well all these mechanics.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Reading from grid is rather for whole game/modpack distribution, if you need to add few extra images, "extra" statement is more convenient.
Important is, that cleint need to have:
png file with graphics
spec file with graphic handle definition
modified tileset file with spec file included.
You can either modify existing tileset file and ask users to overwrite old one, or make additional tileset based on existing one (that was my way).
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Thanks!

Yes, I believe it will be necessary to have both old and new PNGs together (duplicating the onld ones, basically) for simplicity. Slightly redundant, but more simple for people who are not at ease with grabbing into their files and changing something, better to prepare a package with everything.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

Wahazar wrote:Reading from grid is rather for whole game/modpack distribution, if you need to add few extra images, "extra" statement is more convenient.
I believe this could be misunderstood. As I understand it [extras] styles = is for defining how terrain extras should be interconnected. Not relevant to units if I've got this right.
Important is, that cleint need to have:
png file with graphics
spec file with graphic handle definition
modified tileset file with spec file included.
You can either modify existing tileset file and ask users to overwrite old one, or make additional tileset based on existing one (that was my way).
My reading too:
Have one (or more) .png's, one .spec for each, and for each add one entry in [tilespec] files = <csv>. If you add your own to the end you can reuse the same tags as in the distro. [ *include is for additional tilespec fields such as the (undocumented?) misc/colors.tilespec - but presumably you could use it within the files = <csv> list if you had a heap of .specs listed in a separate file. Just watch out for the trailing non comma?]
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Turned your Unit30.png into a tileset. This one should be compatible with LT47 game, and I tried to make it compatible with variant2 ruleset (though it is 2.6 while the tileset is 2.5, only compatibility strings probably have to be changed). Some missing units are extracted from augmented2 modpack. There are question marks in the Unit30.spec files where my education was not enough to understand what is pictured or I was not sure if the graphic tag is appropriate. Sorry if some image authors specified are wrong.

Update 2020-02-16: new Units30.spec file to cover LT51 units
Attachments
Units30.spec
LT51 specfile (backward compatible)
(6.35 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
amplio_var2.zip
LT47/variant2 2.5 tileset
(314.7 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Last edited by Ignatus on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Turned your Unit30.png into a tileset. This one should be compatible with LT47 game, and I tried to make it compatible with variant2 ruleset (though it is 2.6 while the tileset is 2.5, only compatibility strings probably have to be changed). Some missing units are extracted from augmented2 modpack. There are question marks in the Unit30.spec files where my education was not enough to understand what is pictured or I was not sure if the graphic tag is appropriate. Sorry if some image authors specified are wrong.
Cool, thanks! Im already at Units52 but it doesnt matter since the whole doc keeps being in flux and again Ive been starting to add new units and rearranging positions before I finished matching trident and amplio units first... Im even considering adding mammoths...

Anyhow, I will update the spec file myself to explain what I had in mind in a not too distant future but it will still take time.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

No update in a long time and far from done but I found some Heroes of might and magic stuff that you can easily modify and that looks decent at the same time. I like to stay in the realms of reality but a dragon hidden in a scenario might be a fun easter egg...
I also thought a mammoth for a possible stone age mod might be a cool thing.
Attachments
Mammoth-trident.png
Mammoth-trident.png (752 Bytes) Viewed 9143 times
Mammoth.png
Mammoth.png (3.99 KiB) Viewed 9148 times
dragons-trident.png
dragons-trident.png (4.37 KiB) Viewed 9148 times
dragons-amplio.png
dragons-amplio.png (11.83 KiB) Viewed 9148 times