RoundSquare tileset

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Re: RoundSquare tileset

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Wahazar wrote:After accident with trireme caused by silly isometric aspect ratio, I definitely switched to rounded square overhead tileset for LT.
I'm not quite convinced with these pixels instead of numbers, but generally it looks fine.

Maybe wall merlons (as it was in cov1) instead of these small, hard to notice yellow flags, for non-empty town?
The yield-dots may grow on you.

The cities and their occupancy indicators are pure default Trident. I fully intend to revamp them at some point. I agree it is far harder than it needs to be to see if they are occupied or not.
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Hans Lemurson wrote: The cities and their occupancy indicators are pure default Trident.
I know, but while other things are more clear now if compared to default trident, city occupancy is still illegible.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Wahazar wrote:
Hans Lemurson wrote: The cities and their occupancy indicators are pure default Trident.
I know, but while other things are more clear now if compared to default trident, city occupancy is still illegible.
Consider it a feature request.
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Having converted several otherwise productive hours of the day into tinkering with FreeCiv graphics, I present the following enhancements to the tileset: Better Occupancy Flags!
Optional Full-Food Yield Graphics!
To use these alternate graphics, modify the "RoundSquare.tilespec" file, look for line 65 and follow instructions.

Code: Select all

"RoundSquare/tiles.spec",
;  "RoundSquare/yields_f.spec",	;Optional Full-Food yield graphics.  Uncomment to activate.
  "RoundSquare/yields.spec",
I'm not going to do it for you.

Now, you would think that all this wouldn't have taken 2+ hours to accomplish, but you would be wrong. I went through MANY potential flag/occupancy graphics, drawing, redrawing, and erasing before settling on one that did a decent job of "catching the eye" without covering up or blending into or otherwise disrupting other graphics.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Well done, definitely hard to overlook, even if city background flag have similar colours.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

I'm not 100% sure what the emblem on the flag is supposed to represent (balance scales?), but it is nice and distinctive. Visible even against the flags of Spain and Catalunia. I can see it as a separate "thing" even when squinting, and it can't be confused with any other feature on the screen. And so I decided it was "good enough".

It would actually look kind of cool as a flag in it's own right...
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

I made some further graphical refinements:
-Touched up the LT Flagship graphics a bit. Looks properly fancy now.
-Modified the Fanatics graphic to look more plausible as a rifle-era unit. Looks properly mujehadeen now.
-Removed some light blue coloration from Irrigation so that irrigated Plains don't look so gray. Looks a bit thinner now, but the underlying terrain shows through more strongly
-Tweaked the shading a bit on the Farmland graphic.
Attachments
RoundSquare v0.42.zip
(185.75 KiB) Downloaded 603 times
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Version 0.42 can be installed by pasting http://student.ulb.ac.be/~lmoureau/free ... 42.modpack in the URL field of the modpack installer and clicking Install.

@Hans, it would be good if you could include a license file (has to be GPL version 2 or later because it's a derivative work of original trident)
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

louis94 wrote:Version 0.42 can be installed by pasting http://student.ulb.ac.be/~lmoureau/free ... 42.modpack in the URL field of the modpack installer and clicking Install.

@Hans, it would be good if you could include a license file (has to be GPL version 2 or later because it's a derivative work of original trident)
That sounds like a great idea. How do I do that?
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

Hans Lemurson wrote:
louis94 wrote: @Hans, it would be good if you could include a license file (has to be GPL version 2 or later because it's a derivative work of original trident)
That sounds like a great idea. How do I do that?
You download this file (for GPL 2.0), rename it to LICENSE or COPYING and add it to your .zip folder. There's a standard disclaimer you can add at the beginning your .spec files, but it's in no way mandatory (though it makes things more clear):
This file is part of Foobar.

Foobar is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

Foobar is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with Foobar. If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
You'll find more information here.