RoundSquare tileset

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
vodot
Veteran

Re: RoundSquare tileset

Post by vodot »

Hans Lemurson wrote:
mir3x wrote:
How do people feel about the red-pips on the 1-food tiles?
-Is it confusing?
-Does it show "this tile costs 1 food surplus to work"?
-Did you not really notice?
-Would you prefer simple green-pips that just show the total food output rather than the surplus?
It took me a lot of time to figure what's going with red and green and gray - and its very confusing. Standard all green would be better.
Thanks for the feedback. I might create a version with normal green pips. Maybe figure out a way to bundle the two versions together. Will think on this.
I had no clue what the red pips meant until you explained it. However, now that I know... I would rather have the red. The idea of it "costing" a food or two to work a tile makes much more intuitive sense to me (especially for 'at-a-glance' city production guesses) than adding up all the green pips and dividing by 2*size.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Hans Lemurson wrote:
Wahazar wrote:I have general question: what if certain tile production exceed 9, for example 10: did I get 10? and what is displayed in case of pip or standard numbers?
Clamped to 9?
I'm asking because want to know, how much my ruleset is messing with such display system.
As far as I can tell, there were no graphics allocated to yields above 9. Is there code for them? I don't know.
City food/prod/trade output is indeed clamped to 9 for display, if greater. Tilesets are expected to provide all sprites 0-9. There's no provision for any more yield than that. (Mountains+Gold+Super Highways can run into this limit in the classic ruleset.)

(Unit upkeep sprites can be specified up to 10. You don't have to specify all of these; missing ones will be copied from the numerically previous one, so you can leave gaps and the end of the range will be effectively clamped.)
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

JTN wrote: City food/prod/trade output is indeed clamped to 9 for display, if greater. Tilesets are expected to provide all sprites 0-9. There's no provision for any more yield than that.
Still not sure, if tile output is clamped to 9 for display only, or also for real output?
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
vodot
Veteran

Post by vodot »

Wahazar wrote:
JTN wrote: City food/prod/trade output is indeed clamped to 9 for display, if greater. Tilesets are expected to provide all sprites 0-9. There's no provision for any more yield than that.
Still not sure, if tile output is clamped to 9 for display only, or also for real output?
Only the display is "capped"; the actual output can be over 9.
Akechi

Post by Akechi »

Wahazar wrote:Still not sure, if tile output is clamped to 9 for display only, or also for real output?
It is display only. If you middle click that tile, tile output displays correctly.
City's dialog displays food income correctly if you clicked.
e.g. If grassland produces 12 food, then...
(please ignore city's growth, due to customized ruleset)
Attachments
10addedgrassland.png
10addedgrassland.png (165.83 KiB) Viewed 18207 times
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Your choice of a non-RoundSquare tileset to demonstrate the effect saddens me. :(
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Hans Lemurson wrote:Your choice of a non-RoundSquare tileset to demonstrate the effect saddens me. :(
Sorry, it is my fault of provoking off-topic. But aren't hexes a slightly rounded squares? ;)
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Wahazar wrote:Sorry, it is my fault of provoking off-topic. But aren't hexes a slightly rounded squares? ;)
No! They are totally different shapes with different symmetries and geometries! Hexagons are much closer to circles than Squares are, so if I ever make a Hex tileset, you can expect it to feature circles as the "rounded" version.

And I will need to at least alter the existing hexagonal tilesets, because they all seem to fail in their understanding and display of basic geometry. Those Hexemplio tiles are NOT regular viewed from an isometric angle, they are ABOMINATIONS.

This is what properly angled hexagons look like: (rendered in pixels, but the point still stands)
Hexagons viewed from the isometric viewing angle have a 3:2 width:height ratio.

Shoot, now I'm the one going off-topic...
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
vodot
Veteran

Post by vodot »

All I see, Hans, is that you're working on a hex version. YUSSSSSS! Also, seriously, aspect ratios of hexagons? You're such a nerd! Keep it up!
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

After accident with trireme caused by silly isometric aspect ratio, I definitely switched to rounded square overhead tileset for LT.
I'm not quite convinced with these pixels instead of numbers, but generally it looks fine.

Maybe wall merlons (as it was in cov1) instead of these small, hard to notice yellow flags, for non-empty town?