RoundSquare tileset

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Re: RoundSquare tileset

Post by cazfi »

Hans Lemurson wrote:How do people feel about the red-pips on the 1-food tiles?
-Does it show "this tile costs 1 food surplus to work"?
That means that the tileset works well only with rulesets that have food_cost of 2. Most do, of course...
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

cazfi wrote:
That means that the tileset works well only with rulesets that have food_cost of 2. Most do, of course...
Yes, it is limited in that sense. Freeciv is built around the principle of being extremely flexible to all potential rulesets, and this does restrict that. That said, basically every ruleset uses a food cost of 2. It's a good value. I don't anticipate any major problems with this limitation.
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

-Is it confusing?
Some time it the future I would like to suggest a significant change to citizen food upkeep so that one could have more control over city growth (using effects). This sort of change could end up being an obstacle.

Also, my view is that different rules for the f/p/t values will be a source of confusion for some. Consistency is GOOD! So far I have not had a problem remembering that citizens need 2 food.

I would hope that graphics like this could be added to the distro's as an ALTERNATIVE for those that prefer gameplay over eye candy, leaving the originals for those who prefer the converse (as we have seen).
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

nef wrote:I would hope that graphics like this could be added to the distro's as an ALTERNATIVE for those that prefer gameplay over eye candy, leaving the originals for those who prefer the converse (as we have seen).
It would be nice, but for now we must be content with just downloading it and installing it manually. Have you tried this tileset out in a game? It was designed initially to meet the demands of LongTurn games with their need to see the "big picture", but I've been able to use it satisfactorily in a single-player game.

Then again, maybe I'm just becoming accustomed to it, as others have become accustomed to Trident. That's why I'm seeking outside feedback.
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

I have general question: what if certain tile production exceed 9, for example 10: did I get 10? and what is displayed in case of pip or standard numbers?
Clamped to 9?
I'm asking because want to know, how much my ruleset is messing with such display system.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

As far as I can tell, there were no graphics allocated to yields above 9. Is there code for them? I don't know.

City-sizes are drawn by separate little number icons for the 1's, 10's, and 100's places, each offset in their proper positions. The Food/Production/Trade values are done in a similar manner to sit next to one another. It's not clear where there'd be room to graphically incorporate second digits for all those yields.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Thanks for clarifications. I will try to keep production below 10 (maybe I should add -1 punishment effect if exceed 10 - it would hamper democracy, but equality hurts :)
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Don't get too carried away with big numbers. Do remember that one of the core principles of Civ is to keep things as simple relatable integers. It's better to work with 2's and 3's than 12's and 18's. And to quote Sid Meier: "If you're ever uncertain about a number, either double it or cut it in half." (I recommend the latter)
mir3x
Veteran

Post by mir3x »

How do people feel about the red-pips on the 1-food tiles?
-Is it confusing?
-Did you not really notice?
-Would you prefer simple green-pips that just show the total food output rather than the surplus?
It took me a lot of time to figure what's going with red and green and gray - and its very confusing. Standard all green would be better.
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

mir3x wrote:
How do people feel about the red-pips on the 1-food tiles?
-Is it confusing?
-Did you not really notice?
-Would you prefer simple green-pips that just show the total food output rather than the surplus?
It took me a lot of time to figure what's going with red and green and gray - and its very confusing. Standard all green would be better.
Thanks for the feedback. I might create a version with normal green pips. Maybe figure out a way to bundle the two versions together. Will think on this.