Trident graphics

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
XYZ
Elite

Re: Trident graphics

Post by XYZ »

How about creating all separate file for these additional units, keeping units needed by classic rulesets in one .png and having new additions in second?
I got the idea from GriffonSpade for Amplio units: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... als#p97385

Would rather see them in even if they are only silent for the classic ruleset but since its a technical question its not my decision. In my opinion at least the steamer as civilian counter-part to the ironclad should be integrated. Here VladimirSlavik deserves much credit for the ships.
I'd say Anti-Aircraft ;)
Corbeau got it right. :D If you are looking for a railgun, maybe the railWAYgun could do the trick after refurbishment? :)

Below a small example of how refurbishment looks like after Hans gave me some advices. Stormtrooper looks now more like a K.u.K Jagdkommando now...
Attachments
Uhlan14.png
Uhlan14.png (712 Bytes) Viewed 13389 times
Rooikat5-tire.png
Rooikat5-tire.png (571 Bytes) Viewed 13398 times
Eland7.png
Eland7.png (690 Bytes) Viewed 13402 times
MarkIV-9.png
MarkIV-9.png (563 Bytes) Viewed 13418 times
Stormtrooper16.png
Stormtrooper16.png (656 Bytes) Viewed 13435 times
Last edited by XYZ on Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:51 am, edited 9 times in total.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

XYZ wrote:You cant open them with a browser but you can download the pic and open it for example with paint.net (freeware) and then you can zoom in (ctrl [+] +). After all trident only has 30x30 pixel.
Re-reading my posts here and I noticed a small misunderstanding: I can NOT download any pix.
But I found a nice quick way to save any image into my HD, and then, browse them all with any image viewer.

So, thanks XYZ, you put me on the right road.
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

I like Stormtrooper16 the best. The backpack 17 has is realistic, but at such a small scale it can be easily mistaken for other things.

I downloaded the image, and it appears that you used some shading! Unfortunately, the strong black outline around the trooper makes the faint shading almost appear flat in comparison. I have found that properly used shading often eliminates the need for black outlines, since the contours and boundaries become obvious. If the black outline were instead black shading on a layer with 50% opacity, I think the results would look marvelous.

I think I can see some shading work on the underside of the MarkIV too, but it looks pretty faint. I think you should probably use the darkening/lightening layer at a higher opacity. Remember that we are looking at a tiny 30px image on a modern high-res monitor. Don't be shy about making the details STAND OUT. Zoom out to 100% and squint at your image. If you can still more or less tell what is happening in the image, then you've made a good graphic!
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

I like Stormtrooper16 the best. The backpack 17 has is realistic, but at such a small scale it can be easily mistaken for other things.
Thanks for the decision, coudnt make up my mind wich one is better for the same arguments. Without it is!
I downloaded the image, and it appears that you used some shading! Unfortunately, the strong black outline around the trooper makes the faint shading almost appear flat in comparison. I have found that properly used shading often eliminates the need for black outlines, since the contours and boundaries become obvious. If the black outline were instead black shading on a layer with 50% opacity, I think the results would look marvelous.
All true but I tried to emulate the existing trident units. They all have that thick layer of counter around. Its not my cup of tea but the new units should fit in better I thought. Now in hindsight I should only have used existing units as templates when possible. Would have spared me some time...
If you look at VladimirSlavik dredger and icebreaker you wont see much difference to the existing units. Same with the ships I made from existing units.
I think I can see some shading work on the underside of the MarkIV too, but it looks pretty faint. I think you should probably use the darkening/lightening layer at a higher opacity. Remember that we are looking at a tiny 30px image on a modern high-res monitor. Don't be shy about making the details STAND OUT. Zoom out to 100% and squint at your image. If you can still more or less tell what is happening in the image, then you've made a good graphic!
This one is tough. I experimented much and he is bigger now wich is important. The dark colours make shading difficult although a tank has due to his linear structure a simple shading but the dark caterpillar tracks make it difficult and there is no example to orientate. Try your luck if you want!

Edit: gave the stormtrooper the experimental body armor. Should solve the shading issue... :D
And shaded the marksman...
Attachments
New!
New!
halberdier6.png (721 Bytes) Viewed 13362 times
New!
New!
Militia on horse2.png (858 Bytes) Viewed 13367 times
New!
New!
Militia18.png (739 Bytes) Viewed 13373 times
Marksman9.png
Marksman9.png (625 Bytes) Viewed 13387 times
Stormtrooper16-bodyarmor2.png
Stormtrooper16-bodyarmor2.png (666 Bytes) Viewed 13397 times
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

This new crop of units is looking good!
I like the dynamism of the horse.
The stormtrooper wearing armor and carrying a rifle on his back looks cool too.
The Militiaman has a hilariously fat gun, but that's not really a problem. No doubt what he's packing!
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

This new crop of units is looking good! I like the dynamism of the horse.
Yes, I started to recycle body parts from other units wich helps alot! I need much less corrections thanks to that.
The Militiaman has a hilariously fat gun, but that's not really a problem. No doubt what he's packing!
hehe, yes! Either to little or too big. The latter seemed more suitable... :D

Now the best news: Infantry done!
Attachments
Balloon5.png
Balloon5.png (546 Bytes) Viewed 13307 times
almost new!
almost new!
Samurai7.png (906 Bytes) Viewed 13336 times
new!
new!
Musketeer6.png (972 Bytes) Viewed 13336 times
new!
new!
Commando4.png (564 Bytes) Viewed 13336 times
trident-infantry-complete.png
trident-infantry-complete.png (10.25 KiB) Viewed 13337 times
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

3 rows now completed.
Attachments
3 rows completed.png
new!
new!
Seamine8.png (502 Bytes) Viewed 13278 times
new!
new!
Balloon5.png (546 Bytes) Viewed 13278 times
refurbished
refurbished
Marine-Faehrprahm15.png (538 Bytes) Viewed 13278 times
new!
new!
Minesweeper9.png (591 Bytes) Viewed 13278 times
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

I made another push but have to take a break or at least try to take a brake from this...

So far I made a bunch of new units and besides animals not much is left on my list. If someone wants to help create the missing ones and or refurbish some of the misshaped units pls feel free! Always good to inform what you are working on to avoid redundancies.

Hint: if you want to create a unit you can take a picture. Cut it to a quadratic shape and lower it to 30x30 pixel for trident. Then you can use the magic wand tool in paint.net and cut the background tiles out. Afterwards I would redraw the contours with black or a strong colour and then make the remaining tiles smooth/hard like trident...

I also recommend using parts of other units and assemble our unit by simply cobbling them together while changing colours and a few pixels. Helps when you have problems creating shadows like me...

Btw, if you have questions about the present units, ask! What they are, intended purpose, why they are grouped together etc.

Edit: new file 16.07.2018
Attachments
units-Flagship.png
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Im pretty much done with all the units I wanted. I expanded the set of units available for trident enormously and corrected a few units that werent matching their counterparts in other graphics.
I will now only refurbish the ones now I created below until I can present a final version.

What Im asking now is that we hopefully assemble the same set of units for Amplio. I already started creating some by rearranging existing units. We can scavange a lot from GriffonSpade, VladimirSlavik and Ngunjaca.

Another approach is asking Fairline and Tanelorn. I was informed that they are still active at the civfanatics forum, it might be worth to try to contact them:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/members/fairline.14395/

I cant make a promise but I will try to create a for every unit that someone delivers in Amplio one in Cimpletoon. I hope that is an incentive...
Attachments
units-with-animals-finished.png
Last edited by XYZ on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Great work, XYZ!