Graphics bugs in Freeciv on Mac OS

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
nctrd

Graphics bugs in Freeciv on Mac OS

Post by nctrd »

Dear freecivers,

I've installed Freeciv gtk2 from source on Mac OS Sierra, 10.12.6 and got two issues, which look the same in freeciv 2.5.9, 2.5.8, 2.6.0, 2.5.2 and maybe other:

- Font settings for city production seem to be ignored. The client starts with font size of something like 6, despite the fact that it's 13 in the settings.
I've had freeciv 2.3.0 installed from precompiled dmg, and did not flush the ~/.freeciv folder - could that be the reason?

- Unit movement animations are missing. On the goto command (G+mouse click), the selected unit teleports from A to B, other then visiting all of the tiles in between. Noteworthy, the game freezes between the initial and final states for roughly (unit movement animation time)*(number of steps).

Where should I look for the solution? Which library or setting can be responsible? The issue seems to be barely googleable.

The OXYGEN_DISABLE_INNER_SHADOWS_HACK=0 hack (found at some forum) does not work.
My shared libs are from homebrew.

Please consider the configure, make and make install dump - if that can be of any help.

Thank you very much in advance.
Andrew
Attachments
freeciv-2.6.0-beta1-configure-make.txt
(136.49 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
mir3x
Veteran

Re: Graphics bugs in Freeciv on Mac OS

Post by mir3x »

nctrd wrote:
- Font settings for city production seem to be ignored. The client starts with font size of something like 6, despite the fact that it's 13 in the settings.
I've had freeciv 2.3.0 installed from precompiled dmg, and did not flush the ~/.freeciv folder - could that be the reason?
Default font is Serif here, either MacOs doesnt default to any Serif or it took that setting from 2.3 and that font family which doens't exist anymore ?
Try changing font family.
- Unit movement animations are missing. On the goto command (G+mouse click), the selected unit teleports from A to B, other then visiting all of the tiles in between. Noteworthy, the game freezes between the initial and final states for roughly (unit movement animation time)*(number of steps).
It's something with gtk2 libs, but it looks like well known gtk3 client issue. Maybe upgrade or downgrade them.
nctrd

Post by nctrd »

As of now, I have deleted XQuartz and reinstalled freeciv 2.5.9 from homebrew. Did not help.

Here are my gtk-related packages, from "brew search gtk", installed ones are marked.

gtk+ ✔ gtk-mac-integration ✔ gtkmm ✔ gtk-gnutella gtksourceview gtkspell3
gtk+3 ✔ gtk-murrine-engine ✔ pygtk ✔ gtk-vnc gtksourceview3 lablgtk
gtk-chtheme ✔ gtkextra ✔ clutter-gtk gtkdatabox gtksourceviewmm pygtkglext
gtk-engines ✔ gtkglext ✔ gtk-doc gtkmm3 gtksourceviewmm3 pygtksourceview

Noteworthy, problem is present despite installing gtk-mac-integration, gtk-engines, gtk-murrine-engine, gtkextra, gtkglext, gtkmm, pygtk.

I export GTK_PATH=/usr/local/lib/gtk-2.0, which fixed gtk " Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: " warnings, but the units in freeciv still teleport.

I did not mention it previously, but the sound of unit movement is played with (unit move animation time) period, and then the unit teleports. So, the problem is stricktly graphics-related and not imagemagick-related (the latter I found out earlier).
nctrd

Post by nctrd »

Another small UPD:

Sometimes mouse cursor does not become the spinning circle and I cannot click on anything. Heals after some map scrolling. Also, I keep getting the following warning:

(freeciv-gtk2:5013): Gdk-WARNING **: Source with depth 1 unsupported
nctrd

Re: Stable release 2.5.10

Post by nctrd »

[moved from Announcement forum -- JTN]

I'd like to report that this release still* exhibits animation issues on Mac OS Sierra, gtk 2.24.32, both homebrew and compiled-from-source versions. Namely, other then move over the map, the units wait for (unit movement animation time)*(number of steps) and then teleport to the end position. Combat animations are missing too, probably due to the same issue.

*The issue is present in 2.5.* and 2.6-beta branches.
nctrd

Post by nctrd »

I've checked freeciv 2.5.8 with Qt client - it exhibits exactly the same behaviour, animations are missing.
Apparently, it is not a gtk bug.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

With regard to your no-animation problem:

I don't have access to a Mac and don't know very much about how they work, but that said: I vaguely wonder if this has anything to do with the problem that our recent "frame-by-frame animation" changes (hrm #700707) are meant to solve.

So I wonder if you would see anything different with the Gtk-3.22 client in 2.6.0-beta2 (which has this new mode enabled), or the Gtk3 client in post-beta2 S2_6 git (since hrm 726552), if you're able to try either of those.
nctrd

Post by nctrd »

Dear JTN,

Thanks for the idea.
I've compiled the 2.6 beta with gtk 3.22, the client looks smooth and solid, feels better then gtk2. Animations work, whick is awesome!

However, when I try loading a game saved by freeciv (probably) 2.5.10 (or maybe 2.5.8), the client crashes when I click "Run":
Assertion failed: (!scaled_font->cache_frozen), function _cairo_scaled_glyph_page_destroy, file cairo-scaled-font.c, line 459.
Abort trap: 6

I use cairo 1.14.12 from homebrew.

Noteworthy, game saved by this beta loads without issues.

Please consider the trace. Sorry, I cannot uploat the save file here.

UPD: I am getting this very error when building a city (press b with Settlers). The pop-up dialogue asking for city name shows up; after clicking ok, the frame of the city dialogue window shows up, followed by immediate crash.

UPD2: freeciv 2.5.10 with gtk3 client shows similar behaviour, it crashes on game load (both old saves and those created by this very version) as well as on city build. Animations do not work. Also, I've fixed some spelling in this post.
Attachments
trace.txt
(62.4 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
nctrd

Post by nctrd »

Another UPD:

Freeciv 2.5.10 (freeciv-gtk2) installed using fresh MacPorts as sudo port install freeciv-x11 runs smoothly in XQuartz, and the animations work.
The same, installed as sudo port install freeciv (freeciv-sdl) works, but the animations do not work.