AmplioHexBig 2.6

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: AmplioHexBig 2.6

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:
GriffonSpade wrote:new hexemplio.tilespec for v2.6.00.
It's part of freeciv proper. (That's why hexemplio was created in the first place - to have tileset like amplio2hexbig but with such a filesize that it's feasible to include in freeciv distribution).
Ah, I suppose I should say new hexemelio.tilespec FROM v2.6.00.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

GriffonSpade wrote:Ah, I suppose I should say new hexemelio.tilespec FROM v2.6.00.
Latest (as this URL does not specify revision number) S2_6 data can be seen from: http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv/branches/S2_6/data/
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

For one ruleset I would need "Path" as separate road type, to be built before paved "Road" we already have in most rulesets.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I see you now release many files under Creative Commons that is not compatible with GPL, and thus makes it impossible for us to use those particular files in freeciv proper.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Some files use format like "x, y, tag1, tag2, tag3". That doesn't work (I've seen some people to try to use it in the past). There is just one "tag" column, later ones will be ignored.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

cazfi wrote:I see you now release many files under Creative Commons that is not compatible with GPL, and thus makes it impossible for us to use those particular files in freeciv proper.
CC0 is public domain, no problem. CC BY 4.0 is also okay, CC BY SA 4.0 in the next paragraph is under discussion (FSF + CC).
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:Some files use format like "x, y, tag1, tag2, tag3". That doesn't work (I've seen some people to try to use it in the past). There is just one "tag" column, later ones will be ignored.
I think I've finally figured out what you meant. You mean like this?

Code: Select all

0,    1,  "t.l0.plains1",		;[PA]
			"t.l0.hills1",		;[PA]
			"t.l0.mountains1"	;[PA]
But if it didn't work, wouldn't these base layers not appear? I mean, I can see the faded green 'plains' layer 0 under hills and mountains? (In 2.6) Which version are you saying this sort of thing doesn't work for? 3.0? Does it cause server issues when it's done like this (that aren't immediately apparent)?

And yes, I chose CC0 for my own work (that is to say, explicitly, solely by me) because it allows anyone to use it without reservation or restriction.
It's always frustrating to me when I find neat stuff that I can't use officially because of licensing issues, so I'd prefer if I don't do it to others.
Obviously, this does not apply to anything I do using others' work, where I maintain their license and do my best to maintain credits.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Alright, after coming back after a couple months to thinking about how I'm going to set this up, I think I know how I'll do it. Most of me wanting to keep it completely separate is down to how I have my files stored.

First, I'll separate it into two parts:
The first part will be 'Hexemplio beta'. It will be files in the ampliohexbig directory as per usual, but only the ones that deviate from current hexemplio.
Then the second part will be 'AmplioHexBig'. It will be all the stuff that's currently XU/GT.

And now that I've written it out, I don't have to worry about forgetting about it.

Edit: And here's the hexemplio 2.6 beta patch. I just replaced everything in the hexemplio folder because so much was changed. Went through each spec file and compared/updated line by line to make sure everything was included (such as the bases notes). Note that even the spec files that didn't have any script changes usually had credit changes.
hexemplio 2.6 beta.zip
(850.76 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I'm struggling with irrigation (and farmland) stuff. Why is extrastyle of those changed from "Cardinals" to "River"? Do they have delta to ocean like rivers do?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:I'm struggling with irrigation (and farmland) stuff. Why is extrastyle of those changed from "Cardinals" to "River"? Do they have delta to ocean like rivers do?
Yeah, they use the river mouths to appear properly connected to water sources. Having that beach between the irrigation and its source looked very off, and I don't have to rely on the half-assed version with little squiggly blue lines drawn outside the border.
irrigmouth.png
irrigmouth.png (26.76 KiB) Viewed 11289 times
Edit:
For one ruleset I would need "Path" as separate road type, to be built before paved "Road" we already have in most rulesets.
Could you elaborate on this? The standard brown road would be considered 'paved' (or at least a proper Roman road), and you need a smaller, thinner one to represent narrow paths through the wilderness?