AmplioHexBig 2.6

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
JTN
Elite

Re: AmplioHexBig 2.6

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:Updated Hexemplio hills and mountains.
Will be committed to git in http://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/693375
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Hmm, in making XPT for 2.6 I think I've found a potentially major, though extremely marginal, regression for ruleset modders from 2.5: In 2.5 only the identifier was required to be unique, so each name could be used by multiple terrains/extras to give them slightly different properties but the same name and appearance. (ie cold swamps and hot swamps being different terrain, or giving fortresses different bonuses depending on the terrain they're built on). But in 2.5 each name must be unique, and there's no way to actually override the code name to have it display something else in the client.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

rule_name must be unique, but multiple (gui) names can be the same. You just need to set rule_name explicitly in that case and not to rely on it defaulting to same value as name.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:rule_name must be unique, but multiple (gui) names can be the same. You just need to set rule_name explicitly in that case and not to rely on it defaulting to same value as name.
Alright, apparently my understanding was exactly backwards, and I was trying to use rule_name as displayed name. I misinterpreted the help text on rule_name. I got 'name must not change, use this name instead if you want to change it' (having not paid much attention to the first few words before the semicolon). Perhaps less concise, more redundant help would be better here?

Code: Select all

; rule_name            = (optional) name for savegames, rulesets etc; if not
;                        present, 'name' is used. Since the name used in
;                        savegames must not change, use this when renaming a
;                        terrain after a ruleset has been released.
Changed to:

; rule_name            = (optional) name for savegames, rulesets etc; if not
;                        present, 'name' is used. Since the name used in
;                        savegames must not change, when changing the 'name'
;                        of a terrain after a ruleset has been released, set
;                        this to the value of the original 'name'.

; rule_name               = (optional) name for savegames, rulesets etc; if not
;                           present, 'name' is used. Since the name used in
;                           savegames must not change, use this when renaming
;                           an extra after a ruleset has been released.
Changed to:

; rule_name               = (optional) name for savegames, rulesets etc; if not
;                           present, 'name' is used. Since the name used in
;                           savegames must not change, when changing the 'name'
;                           of an extra after a ruleset has been released, set
;                           this to the value of the original 'name'.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I'm wondering, do you intend to adapt the XU stuff to square tilesets eventually? Making the extra units work with amplio2 literally just requires changing the Y offset, but the terrain stuff does seem more complicated. I'm asking because I'm constantly testing my own ruleset, and since I add new units there, I just bodged together a tilespec that's just amplio2 with the units from XU. Maybe, in the future, I might make use of the other XU stuff, but I couldn't use that with square topology.
If you're not planning on doing this, that's fine. What you already did is awesome as is. Don't feel pressured :D
~ AVL
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Caedo wrote:I'm wondering, do you intend to adapt the XU stuff to square tilesets eventually? Making the extra units work with amplio2 literally just requires changing the Y offset, but the terrain stuff does seem more complicated. I'm asking because I'm constantly testing my own ruleset, and since I add new units there, I just bodged together a tilespec that's just amplio2 with the units from XU. Maybe, in the future, I might make use of the other XU stuff, but I couldn't use that with square topology.
If you're not planning on doing this, that's fine. What you already did is awesome as is. Don't feel pressured :D
Ah, it's a bit hit-or-miss. I know I made a few of them for 2.5 in the AmplioHills stuff. Some things adapt easily, but others give me fits until I just give up. Sometimes I'm able to revisit them after a long hiatus with a fresh perspective and get something done, other times not. Goes both ways at that, too.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

JFTR, because I'm not sure that I understood it correctly: At some point in time AmplioHexBig used to be Amplio2HexBig, and it was renamed later, i.e., the current versions for 2.4 and 2.5 use the name AmplioHexBig. On the Wiki I eliminated the Amplio2HexBig 2.4 detail on the Amplio page, and added the three forum threads (this for 2.6) as See also.

Maybe the old Amplio2HexBig versions should be now removed from the modpack server.

There are Amplio2, AmplioHexBig and Hexemplio redirections to Amplio on the Wiki. In theory AmplioHexBig should get its own page, and then Hexemplio should be redirected to AmplioHexBig, but I won't try this, because I have not yet tested these hex. Amplio variants. :oops:

As of today there is no AmplioHexBig 2.6 on the modpack server, but I guess it will be there later. Otherwise I could put it on the manual tilesets download page, at the moment this page ends at Freeciv 2.3.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:
cazfi wrote:rule_name must be unique, but multiple (gui) names can be the same. You just need to set rule_name explicitly in that case and not to rely on it defaulting to same value as name.
Alright, apparently my understanding was exactly backwards, and I was trying to use rule_name as displayed name. I misinterpreted the help text on rule_name. [...]
Raised hrm #705526 for this.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Was experimenting with a smaller Patrol command sprite. Also did some retouching on the Stack + sprite, the Connect with <-> sprite, and 'capped' the Autosettler sprite (ends now black border, rather than being unbordered). Along with moving both the autosettler and new Patrol sprites to right-align with the Connect sprite.

Even then, I can't help but get the feeling that the activity etc. sprites are too large, as they crowd out the unit sprites themselves.
unitextras.png
unitextras.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 9475 times
While I think the other retouches are nice, I'm rather iffy on the Patrol Command sprite. It achieved the goal of making it smaller, but it doesn't look as good.

Conceptually, there should be, I don't know, a 'panel' that has all the unit's information that's next to the unit, and not interfering with either the unit or the surrounding tiles.

Any input?

Edit: Had a slightly different idea afterward too. A single circle with an arrow. Hmm.
patrol2.png
patrol2.png (279 Bytes) Viewed 9468 times
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Alrighty, I've finally managed to produce hex city walls and bases! Also, smaller ruin buildings.

I'm going to start working on the spec, which should be some simple copy-pasting and retouching. Then there will likely be some other stuff like offsets in the tilespec. Then the new version should be ready if there are no issues with these sprites.

Alrighty, ready for in-game testing and review now.
Needed Hexemplio files (As compared to 2.6 b2):
hexemplio.rar
(174.89 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
/data/
-Updated hexemplio.tilespec
--Changed city offsets
--Added hexemplio cities.spec reference
--Removed amplio2 cities.spec reference
/data/hexemplio/
-Updated bases.png
--Changed shrank burnt buildings in Ruins sprite
--Changed replaced amplio2 outpost and fortress walls with hexemplio versions
-New cities.png
--Added hexemplio versions of all amplio2 cities.png, including walled versions
-New cities.spec
--Added hexemplio version of amplio2 cities.spec

The bare walls:
Attachments
cities2.png
Last edited by GriffonSpade on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.