Page 2 of 3

Re: Sextant

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:27 am
by JTN
Do you intend to port Sextant to 2.6 yourself, or would someone else need to do that? (Fine if so, I might do it.)

Re: Sextant

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:00 pm
by GriffonSpade
JTN wrote:Do you intend to port Sextant to 2.6 yourself, or would someone else need to do that? (Fine if so, I might do it.)


Started on it, but I'm having some trouble. I'm getting silent errors that cause the client to just ignore my attempt to change tileset and not even bother giving feedback on the error, so I really don't even know what's wrong. I'm going to download a much more recent 2.5 to 2.6 update guide and see if that helps.

Re: Sextant

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:04 pm
by JTN
Sounds bad :( If you can capture an example of a tileset Freeciv is doing this with, feel free to raise a bug so that we can look at providing better diagnostics.

Re: Sextant

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:04 am
by GriffonSpade
Alrighty, I got this made. I'll make a thread for the 2.6 version eventually, but I'll post it here for now.
Sextant v2.6.00.zip
(764.79 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

Code: Select all

v2.6.00
Upgraded to 2.6

-Files Added-
shields-flag.spec

-Files Removed-
flags.spec

-Changes-
activities.png: added farmland, irrigation, mine, oil_well, oil_rig sprites
activities.spec: added farmland, irrigation, mine, oil_well, oil_rig sprite references
flags.spec: renamed to shields-flag.spec
maintainance.txt: updated and included note to remove override reference in shields-flag.spec
terrain.png: added path sprites
terrain.sped: referenced path sprites

JTN wrote:Sounds bad :( If you can capture an example of a tileset Freeciv is doing this with, feel free to raise a bug so that we can look at providing better diagnostics.


It seems to be something that happens when there is an error in loading the tilespec itself, rather than the spec files. In this case it was because I had extras road.road and road.rail still using style AllSeparate instead of RoadAllSeparate. Apparently a significant difference.

Re: Sextant

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:24 am
by cazfi
GriffonSpade wrote:It seems to be something that happens when there is an error in loading the tilespec itself, rather than the spec files. In this case it was because I had extras road.road and road.rail still using style AllSeparate instead of RoadAllSeparate. Apparently a significant difference.

There must be more to it. When I replace "RoadAllSeparate" with "AllSeparate" in amplio.tilespec and try to load it, I do get an clear error message:

Code: Select all

1: Unknown extra style "AllSeparate" for road "road.road"


I would still be interested to get an tileset that fails to produce the error message so I can see why is that.

Re: Sextant

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:24 am
by JTN
So, I tried 2.6.00 with RoadAllSeparate changed to AllSeparate with freeciv-gtk2, and I got errors, but they were only on stderr (i.e., in the terminal window I launched it from). The game proceeded with Amplio2 without any kind of error or warning in the GUI.

Code: Select all

1: Unknown extra style "AllSeparate" for road "road.road"
[backtrace]

Had I not been able to see the console (for instance if I'd launched the client from my desktop environment's menu system, or from the Windows start menu) then I wouldn't have seen the errors. We could probably improve this user experience, or should at least warn about it in tileset developer docs.

Even with the tileset as shipped, I get a message on the console (but Sextant still loads in this case):

Code: Select all

1: [tile_tundra] invalid match_type "waterx".

Re: Sextant

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:08 am
by GriffonSpade
waterx instead of just water is almost certainly a misplaced character.

Hmm. In 2.5, such errors were placed in an automatically generated text file named stderr.txt in the application directory. I wasn't even aware that the information would be placed anywhere else.

Re: Sextant

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:58 am
by JTN
I infer you're on Windows? (I'm on Linux, sorry, should have said.)
That behaviour shouldn't have changed. Has it stopped happening? We have a number of different Windows build types and library versions flying around. What build exactly are you using?

Re: Sextant

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:26 am
by GriffonSpade
JTN wrote:I infer you're on Windows? (I'm on Linux, sorry, should have said.)
That behaviour shouldn't have changed. Has it stopped happening? We have a number of different Windows build types and library versions flying around. What build exactly are you using?


I do my tileset stuff on GTK, so GTK3 32-bit (29c84a15cb) for certain. If it's being generated, it's somewhere else. Although, it's notable that in 2.5 it was GTK2 rather than GTK3 or GTK3.22.

Re: Sextant

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:59 pm
by JTN
Hm, that was an msys1 build (although any Gtk3.22 builds were certainly msys2). If so, and stderr.txt has gone away, it probably affects new 2.5.x too.

Or maybe stderr.txt has just gone somewhere different.