Art wanted for showcasing game engine features (2.6+)

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
bard
Veteran

Re: Art wanted for showcasing game engine features (2.6+)

Post by bard »

I added 2 units:
Gorilla: https://pixabay.com/en/gorilla-primate- ... le-315544/
Storm: https://pixabay.com/en/cloud-blur-gauss ... er-144983/

I also resized the 2d gorilla, improved the shadows of reptiles so they do not look like flying, and included a version without shadows for 2d tilesets.
I found this image that is useful as reference for the relative size of each animal (although the scale of my units is not really accurate :roll: ):
http://pre09.deviantart.net/9822/th/pre ... 4ppa2m.jpg
Attachments
Animal units v2 (CC0)
Animal units v2 (CC0)
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

These animals look awesome! Really good work here. Now only needs a mountain lion :P.

Having the storm there is kinda interesting too. I can see some uses for that, especially making it unreachable.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Beautiful, but I guess you need more than a head. The complete birds on commons (parent category) are less impressive.

For your tileset cleanup effort: I don't like the Civ II GIF with African beasts for Amplio-sized images. Based on the README everything the author did is PD (brilliant), but some unspecified images are based on some books (not checked) and other sources. Boils down to nobody knows. :(
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

bard wrote:I added 2 units:
Okay, the real thing for Amplio(2) is apparently the third row with shadows created by Gimp as explained in an earlier post with special credits to SilviaP for three animals. The storm in column 10 is no animal, you need it for your own ruleset, and adding it to Amplio(2) would not really help you. [Wild guess, just say where I got it wrong.] Column 11 is empty, because you needed 11 columns for B+W animals suited for Chess in row 1+2. Row 4 is the same as 3 without shadows.

If that's correct I'd like to explode your PNG into 4*11 tiles and add the 9 Amplio candidates to Category:Animal_kingdom, because I just added three older 64x48 candidates to this category (GS bear + lion with shadow maybe too big, FE bear stolen from a flag without shadow maybe not too big).
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

I guess trident counterparts to whatever is in the spritesheet above are wanted, right?
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

VladimirSlavik wrote:I guess trident counterparts to whatever is in the spritesheet above are wanted, right?
Also guessing, yes, there are some animals by Bard on User:JTN/Tileset clearinghouse, and the Trident column for these animals is empty. There are also five units created by you with empty Trident cells. Two GS + one FE in Category:Animal kingdom aren't in the clearinghouse. Hard to tell, which of the three bears and two lions is the best. But Trident is anyway not forced to be a smaller Amplio(2).
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

dunnoob wrote:the real thing for Amplio(2) is apparently the third row
add the 9 Amplio candidates to Category:Animal_kingdom
Done, so now we have for Amplio(2) this or that Leopard, this or that Lion, and even (1)(2)(3) Bears. I think Bard's bear (1) is the best for a Barbarian animal, but that's only me. :D
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

dunnoob wrote:
dunnoob wrote:the real thing for Amplio(2) is apparently the third row
add the 9 Amplio candidates to Category:Animal_kingdom
Done, so now we have for Amplio(2) this or that Leopard, this or that Lion, and even (1)(2)(3) Bears. I think Bard's bear (1) is the best for a Barbarian animal, but that's only me. :D
Bard's all look really good, much better than the others.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

GriffonSpade wrote:Bard's all look really good, much better than the others.
Okay, I've tagged our two 64x48 bears for deletion on the Wiki, the bigger sources are still available for fresh experiments (trident or hextoons). If nothing else happens for animals in 2.6, there are now 3*3 animals parked in HRM#721407, maybe that should be merged into units.png together with various other units in the VladimirSlavik graphics thread. (But some of those belong to an existing pull request, so no matter how it's done, doing it twice wouldn't make it better.)
bard
Veteran

Post by bard »

dunnoob wrote:Okay, the real thing for Amplio(2) is apparently the third row with shadows created by Gimp as explained in an earlier post with special credits to SilviaP for three animals. The storm in column 10 is no animal, you need it for your own ruleset, and adding it to Amplio(2) would not really help you. [Wild guess, just say where I got it wrong.] Column 11 is empty, because you needed 11 columns for B+W animals suited for Chess in row 1+2. Row 4 is the same as 3 without shadows.
Sorry the late answer, but I think you got it right.
Row 4 is the same as 3 without shadows. Right, I think this way it is easier if other people want to modify the icons, or to redo the shadows.
I made row 2 for chess. Row 1 is the same but without the white border, in case someone knows a better way to create this chess-like border.

The latest version of the file can be found here: https://github.com/dftec-es/civ2civ3_ea ... nimals.png
Compared to the image I shared here, I only changed the offset of the gorilla, and the shadows of the reptiles, so they fit better on my custom version of Amplio terrains. But they might not be an improvement for Amplio2, so use whichever you prefer. I also included an alternative brown bear (but I prefer the other one).