Art wanted for showcasing game engine features (2.6+)

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
vodot
Veteran

Re: Art wanted for showcasing game engine features (2.6+)

Post by vodot »

Dino the Dinosore wrote:Thanx to bard for the warning - turns out my squid kraken image is not free to use. So don't distribute it.

I thought it would be fun to try using both bard's octopus and my squid, but each terrain can have only one animal.
I'm certain that's not true- civ2civ3_earth has animals on multiple terrain types each, many of which overlap.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

vodot wrote:
Dino the Dinosore wrote:each terrain can have only one animal.
I'm certain that's not true- civ2civ3_earth has animals on multiple terrain types each, many of which overlap.
I'm afraid it is true, but civ2civ3_earth believes it is not, which I hadn't spotted. Oh, dear.

civ2civ3_earth has help saying things like
Snakes can move on any land tile except Tundra, Glacier or Mountains.
and its terrain definitions look like

Code: Select all

[terrain_plains]
name                 = _("Plains")
; ...
animal               = "Snake", "Wolf", "Lion", "Tiger", "Leopard", "Panther"
but it turns out that you only ever get snakes on a plain; only the first animal is used, and the rest are ignored. If you start the server with --warnings, a slightly cryptic clue is given about this:

Code: Select all

2: Loading rulesets.
2: /home/jtn/.freeciv/2.6/civ2civ3_earth/terrain.ruleset: unused entry: terrain_desert.animal,1
2: /home/jtn/.freeciv/2.6/civ2civ3_earth/terrain.ruleset: unused entry: terrain_desert.animal,2
2: /home/jtn/.freeciv/2.6/civ2civ3_earth/terrain.ruleset: unused entry: terrain_desert.animal,3
2: /home/jtn/.freeciv/2.6/civ2civ3_earth/terrain.ruleset: unused entry: terrain_forest.animal,1
I'm sure this is the case from the code, and I've done a population survey on a large map and confirmed my expectations (e.g., Panthers never show up).

(A single animal can call more than one terrain home, e.g. Bears spawn and can move in both Mountains and Glacier in civ2civ3_earth.)
bard
Veteran

Post by bard »

XYZ wrote:Finished all the animals+plus storm! :D

Hope you all like them!
I do like them, good job XYZ!
JTN wrote:I'm afraid it is true, but civ2civ3_earth believes it is not, which I hadn't spotted. Oh, dear..
Thanks for pointing the possible error.

As I understand it, the first animal in the list is the only one that will appear (at start of game) in that terrain. But you do need to include all animals that will be able to move on that terrain. That's why civ2civ3_earth includes several animals in each terrain, and several terrains are shown in the help of each animal. In my tests it works as expected this way.

You are right about panthers not being used. That was on purpose. I included an alternative animal line (commented out) where tigers and lions are replaced by panthers, so it can be used with continental maps where there are not supposed to be tigers/lions (for example an american map).

jtn, is the help of the animals in civ2civ3_earth right? Can snakes "move on any land tile except Tundra, Glacier or Mountains", even when they only appear on Plains? Or there is something I should fix?
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

bard wrote:As I understand it, the first animal in the list is the only one that will appear (at start of game) in that terrain. But you do need to include all animals that will be able to move on that terrain. That's why civ2civ3_earth includes several animals in each terrain, and several terrains are shown in the help of each animal. In my tests it works as expected this way.
I'm very sure from looking at the code that Snakes can currently only spawn and move on Plains, although I haven't actually experimentally verified it.
In the server's data structure, there's only room for one animal per terrain (but more than one terrain can host a given animal). (code)
All the others specified in terrain.ruleset are simply ignored when the ruleset is loaded. (code) The warnings I quoted before are further evidence of this.
Spawning picks a tile (code) then spawns that terrain's only animal (code).
When an animal tries moving to a terrain, we test whether that animal is that terrain's type of animal. (So, different animal types can never meet each other.) (code)

Given all of which, I'm curious how your tests turned out...
bard wrote:jtn, is the help of the animals in civ2civ3_earth right? Can snakes "move on any land tile except Tundra, Glacier or Mountains", even when they only appear on Plains? Or there is something I should fix?
I don't think there's anything you can do to improve biodiversity within the current limitations of the animal system.
bard
Veteran

Post by bard »

Ok, my mistake. It seems to work as you say.
Given all of which, I'm curious how your tests turned out...
I think my misunderstanding while testing was caused by animals being able to kill units in surrounding tiles out of their home terrains. When I placed an explorer in desert near a snake and it was killed I deduced that the snake was able to move to both plains and deserts. When I placed the unit on mountains the snake did not attack, but now I see due to low chances to win, not to terrain restrictions.

I'll fix the helptexts in my next version of the modpack.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

I do like them, good job XYZ!
Thanks! Always good to hear some feedback!

So what about adding as final animal a polar bear?

Other idea: could big animals like bears once killed give an extra food (for a round)?
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

Other idea: could big animals like bears once killed give an extra food (for a round)?
Check out this other thread - wild animal killing bonus

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=90241
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Can someone explain me these columns/rows?

I see 2 bears, columns not matching, a black panther and a leopard that look pretty much the same (for the last 2 rows). Are the 3 other rows above even relevant?

Added a polar bear btw...

I need about 5 min to add a new animal for Amplio (all pictures CC0). Shall I get a hippo, rhino and an elephant? I made a black panther for trident so cougar and leopard out?

Is my row now correct?
Attachments
animals.png
Animals2.png
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Those are pretty nice, XYZ. What are the black silhouettes for?
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Those are pretty nice, XYZ. What are the black silhouettes for?
Hehe, I didnt make them. But thats what Im trying to find out.