Art required for freeciv proper (2.5)

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Art required for freeciv proper

Post by cazfi »

gm1530 wrote:
cazfi wrote:New required art ticket: patch #4160. We need gfx for new "Unaccessible" terrain type in freeciv-2.6.
I found this: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... abulae.jpg and I extracted the rose of winds. I uploaded a new version of terrain1.png, the new terrain inacessible is under jungle.
Thanks, I'll test how that works in game. If it gets used, under what name you want to be credited for your contribution? (Most people are known by their real name + gna or forum username, but some people select not to reveal their real name)
gm1530

Post by gm1530 »

cazfi wrote:Thanks, I'll test how that works in game. If it gets used, under what name you want to be credited for your contribution? (Most people are known by their real name + gna or forum username, but some people select not to reveal their real name)

Only forum username :)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:On a simpler road I just modified the 'artic' into 'bog'
Does this help? But I don't know anything about GFX... :oops:
I've proposed gm1530's version for inclusion, as having the symbol on it makes it clear that it's special kind of square and not really part of the game world.

But I think I'll use gfx you provided to replace some terrain in alio-tileset. That would achieve the important milestone of making it at least somehow distinguishable from amplio2 (so you know whih tileset you are using while testing these things!)

So, what name you want to use in credits for your contributions?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I used the amplio2 set. I have other modified tiles from earlier versions, including the realism and some other tilesets.

Like gm1530, just the forum username
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

gm1530's "Inaccessible" tile is now in svn. Here's what it looks like in context ("France" scenario):
gm1530's graphic in context
gm1530's graphic in context
InaccessibleFrance.png (111.95 KiB) Viewed 16521 times
I find the compass rose is a bit "foreground-y" and distracting, but since it will never have a unit or city on it I suppose it doesn't matter.

A bit late, but another idea I had was a kind of cloud or rolling fog. I think that would be sufficiently clearly not part of the game world, while not being distracting.
(To be honest the idea was inspired by CivV, which uses cloud for unknown tiles, rather than unreachable ones.)
It's pretty much academic as whenever I try to do art for Freeciv it takes me forever, so I'm unlikely to try it :)
To be effective (and not mistaken for glacier) I think that good blending at the boundary with regular terrain would be important, so that it looked like a cloud at the edge.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

You beat me to posting screenshot. Notde thought that as unit cannot enter the Inaccessible terrain to map tiles further away, in real game situation they appear only as one line of tiles until you have something like flying units with high visibility range or Apollo Program.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

What about having 2 different inaccessible tiles? One like this, and the other a simple black tile. Have the 'border' inaccessible tiles be this design, but the ones behind the border be a solid black.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

New art ticket: patch #4361. We will need icon for ruleset editor, freeciv-ruledit, currently in development.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Not knowing the animal :roll: in question...
Could you tell us size and other details or a similar icon?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Currently we have icons for server, client, and freeciv-modpack

Freedesktop compliant desktops:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv/trunk/data/icons/

Windows .icos:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv/trunk/win32/