VladimirSlavik graphics (was: Dredger graphic)

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
VladimirSlavik

Re: Dredger graphic

Post by VladimirSlavik »

Heya, I am alive! It did take some time, but this evening I looked at the picture and thought, what a shame would it be to leave it unfinished... So here's it all shaded, I hope, and ready. Do feel free to ask for changes, though. Also, don't hesitate to ask for the partial work or anything.

This one is done all the way from scratch, so I release it under CC-0 (in other words, do what you want, attribution is nice)

edit: Not sure about the forum etiquette here, should the SAM part of thread be split from the dredger?
Attachments
Transparent PNG
Transparent PNG
freeciv-sam-romb.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 14478 times
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Looks nice! :D Any further plans for other units?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

VladimirSlavik wrote:Heya, I am alive! It did take some time, but this evening I looked at the picture and thought, what a shame would it be to leave it unfinished... So here's it all shaded, I hope, and ready. Do feel free to ask for changes, though. Also, don't hesitate to ask for the partial work or anything.

This one is done all the way from scratch, so I release it under CC-0 (in other words, do what you want, attribution is nice)

edit: Not sure about the forum etiquette here, should the SAM part of thread be split from the dredger?
/shrug
Probably, but you've already posted it, and it's absolutely beautiful :D

As for a static SAM, I bet you could enlarge those two missile pods, triple-stack them, and put them on some kind of a turret mount instead of a truck and they'd look great :)

Edit: Hah, something with this as a beginning! :P
SAM.png
SAM.png (772 Bytes) Viewed 14439 times
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

Alrighty, let's see then. In the meantime, an attempt at patriot. Not sure if it's big enough?

Again CC-0, I hope the trend is clear :)

EDIT: I am looking at the outlines for a M1 and it's clear that I follow the real dimensions too much, while the units from Amplio are slightly cartooneishly wide. Let's try this one wider, then. Sorry for not realizing earlier.

EDIT #2: Here's an M1 as well...
Attachments
M1 Abrams, hopefully.
M1 Abrams, hopefully.
freeciv-tank-m1-1.png (1.12 KiB) Viewed 14418 times
Patriot missile trailer. Whoosh kaboom...?
Patriot missile trailer. Whoosh kaboom...?
freeciv-sam-patriot-1-launch.png (1.79 KiB) Viewed 14428 times
Plain patriot w/o rocket and cloud.
Plain patriot w/o rocket and cloud.
freeciv-sam-patriot-1.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 14428 times
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

VladimirSlavik wrote:Alrighty, let's see then. In the meantime, an attempt at patriot. Not sure if it's big enough?

Again CC-0, I hope the trend is clear :)

EDIT: I am looking at the outlines for a M1 and it's clear that I follow the real dimensions too much, while the units from Amplio are slightly cartooneishly wide. Let's try this one wider, then. Sorry for not realizing earlier.

EDIT #2: Here's an M1 as well...
Well, it looks great to me! And don't be overly worried about the scale, since it'll never be correct. We've got humans running around the size of aircraft carriers, after all. Mostly just needs to be appropriate to fit in the tile.

I wonder, can you edit the first post and change the name of the thread? That'd take care of any issues on that front.

As for things that remain undone, well, I think here's a list of era-specific limitations in Amplio2:

Code: Select all

Medieval:
Trebuchet

Steam:
Steam-era Riflemen [Probably not your area of expertise, ofc]

WWI:
Mk I Tank
Biplane
Airship (Zeppelin)

WWII:
Panzer
Sherman
Self-Propelled Gun
Ambush Tank Destroyer (EG: German Hetzer)
Japanese Zero Fighter (This could just be a recolored Fighter, I think...)
PT Boat

Cold War:
Jet Fighter (Non-stealth)
Jet Bomber (Non-stealth)
Commandoes (IE: Navy SEALs, spetsnaz, etc) 
Missile Submarine (as opposed to the normal 'torpedo' sub)

Contemporary:
Surveillance Drone
Strike Drone
Stealth Destroyer

Future Tech:
Giant Death Robot (some futuristic war machine or another)
Armorines (power-armored marines)
Ghost (futuristic special forces)
Helicarrier (Flying aircraft carrier)
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

First, I forgot in my excitement to give them shadows :( I'll fix that soon.

As to the list - great! Let me prune that to a list of what I might like tackling next:

Trebuchet
Mk I Tank
Biplane
PT Boat
Jet Bomber (Non-stealth)
Stealth Destroyer
I have one question. What kind of inspiration do you expect for the more ambiguous items? I'm tempted to go with MiG-15 and Avro Vulcan, would that be to your liking? Or do you want to keep it mainstream, along the lines of F-15 and B-52? And do you expect Zummwalt for the stealth destroyer?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

VladimirSlavik wrote:First, I forgot in my excitement to give them shadows :( I'll fix that soon.

As to the list - great! Let me prune that to a list of what I might like tackling next:

Trebuchet
Mk I Tank
Biplane
PT Boat
Jet Bomber (Non-stealth)
Stealth Destroyer
I have one question. What kind of inspiration do you expect for the more ambiguous items? I'm tempted to go with MiG-15 and Avro Vulcan, would that be to your liking? Or do you want to keep it mainstream, along the lines of F-15 and B-52? And do you expect Zummwalt for the stealth destroyer?
Avro might not be a good idea since it looks vaguely like the existing stealth fighter. B-52 would definitely be the better one there.

As for the jet, the MIG looks kinda weird, but it would probably help with keeping it more distinct from the stealth fighter, which looks like some delta-winged American fighter.

As for the stealth destroyer, that's likely the best real life example. The Sea Shadow's design probably isn't a good one, since it looks like it would fit essentially the same role as the submarine, instead of being a smaller, fast, stealthy, hunter counterpart to the AEGIS Cruiser. Unfortunately, the cost and technology involved means there's little more available (maybe even less!) than purely speculative future tech stuff.

Speaking of shadows, it's notable that none of the Amplio units have any shadows with more than 153/255 (60%) alpha.
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

MiG-15...
Not sure about the front, though.

PS: The stealth fighter from Amplio is Mirage 2000.
Attachments
freeciv-mig15-1.png
freeciv-mig15-1.png (1.64 KiB) Viewed 14373 times
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

In reference to the plane's orientation (not our view of it), it looks like the bottom left side of the intake is protruding. Lacks a little bit of curvature there on the bottom up front, I think.
...And the shadow is too dark :roll:

It's certainly a very striking image, though. No chance of confusing it with the stealth fighter :)
VladimirSlavik

Post by VladimirSlavik »

I tried at least three times since the last post, but I just can't find the trick to make the front work.