Tileset questions

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
m35

Tileset questions

Post by m35 »

I'm not sure where to ask these questions.

I'm making a tileset based on the original CivDOS graphics. (it's beautiful)

There are a few questions I'm unable to find answers to:
1) Is it possible to put the flag icon in-front/on-top of the unit icon?
2) Is it possible to have the unit icon's color change based on the nationality?
3) Is it possible to have animated tiles? (for rivers or water)
JTN
Elite

Re: Tileset questions

Post by JTN »

m35 wrote:I'm not sure where to ask these questions.
Here is good...
m35 wrote:I'm making a tileset based on the original CivDOS graphics. (it's beautiful)
That it is.
m35 wrote:1) Is it possible to put the flag icon in-front/on-top of the unit icon?
Not sure I understand exactly what you mean. If you want the existing flags with a particular positioning that's not one of the available ones, I guess you might find you have to generate a new raster flag set based on the SVG originals with tweaks to put the flags exactly where you want them relative to the units. (Some clues about the SVG->PNG process.)
m35 wrote:2) Is it possible to have the unit icon's color change based on the nationality?
You can give units a solid background based on the player colour -- see Options > Local Client > Graphics > Solid unit background color. (This is a client preference, you can't force or hint it from the tileset.) The player colour isn't explicitly tied to the nationality, though. (In 2.5 that will be possible, but the supplied nations won't do it. Well, hm, I suppose we could do it for civ1/civ2 rulesets which have small numbers of nations.)
m35 wrote:3) Is it possible to have animated tiles? (for rivers or water)
No, sorry.
m35

Post by m35 »

Thanks JTN for your help!
JTN wrote:
m35 wrote:1) Is it possible to put the flag icon in-front/on-top of the unit icon?
Not sure I understand exactly what you mean. If you want the existing flags with a particular positioning that's not one of the available ones, I guess you might find you have to generate a new raster flag set based on the SVG originals with tweaks to put the flags exactly where you want them relative to the units. (Some clues about the SVG->PNG process.)
The problem is the flags are being drawn behind the unit icon. If the unit icon is a solid square image, you wouldn't see the flag at all. I'm working around this by keeping the top-left of the tile icon transparent so the flag shows through. It would be nice if the flag could be drawn on top of the icon instead, then it wouldn't be a problem.
http://imgur.com/a/kWda4
JTN wrote:
m35 wrote:2) Is it possible to have the unit icon's color change based on the nationality?
You can give units a solid background based on the player colour -- see Options > Local Client > Graphics > Solid unit background color. (This is a client preference, you can't force or hint it from the tileset.) The player colour isn't explicitly tied to the nationality, though. (In 2.5 that will be possible, but the supplied nations won't do it. Well, hm, I suppose we could do it for civ1/civ2 rulesets which have small numbers of nations.)
I tried the solid color and it fills the entire 32x32 with the color, resulting in an unpleasant border. Perhaps if I changed the spec so each icon was defined with its own tile size?

One more issue I'm running into is how the irrigation is layered on the tile. For desert and plains tiles, CivDOS drew the irrigation on top of the base grassland graphic, then drew the plain/desert specific graphic on top of the irrigation. To work around that I'm making the irrigation pixels mostly transparent. Is there any way to define drawing layers to make it look more like CivDOS?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Sorry for bringing such an old thread back to the living, but has this ever beeen finished? Or is there some other kind of mod bringing the graphics from Civ 1 and Civ 2 to FreeCiv?