AmplioHexBig 2.5

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: AmplioHexBig 2.5

Post by GriffonSpade »

---
Last edited by GriffonSpade on Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Okay, somewhat embarrassing, but apparently I botched the 2.5.11a patch. My brain is apparently a little fried still from putting together 2.5.11.

So here's 2.5.11b fixing what I broke.
(patch 'a' is not required before using patch 'b')

v2.5.11b
==XU==
Bugfix: unitextras2.spec: fixed error made in 2.5.11a

v2.5.11a
-Files Added-
oldpatchnotes.txt

-Changes-
patchnotes.txt: v2.5.11 notes erroneously listed unit.pave becoming activity.highway. It's actually unit.highway.
patchnotes.txt: moved old patch notes to oldpatchnotes.txt

==XU==
-References Changed-
unit.burrow -> unit.burrow_tube
unit.maglevbridge -> unit.maglev_bridge

-Changes-
unitextras2.spec: Fixed credits and References
units.png: moved a few sprites
units.spec: updated references
filelist.txt: updated
Attachments
AmplioHexBig v2.5.11b Patch.zip
(9.8 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Status update: I got the mountains blended satisfactorily. I'm going to be putting together 2.6.00 along with 2.5.12 and 2.4.01;
It's likely that 2.4.01 will have ocean blending removed to fit with the darkness layer better.
Hopefully this all should be done within a week or so.

Also, I'm missing a bunch of line-item artist credits, if anyone can point me at any individual ones, especially in terrain.png, it would be appreciated. Amplio2 is unfortunately rather non-specific about a great number of its terrain sprite credits, so I can only really identify the ones that come from isotrident, amplio, and freeland. (Examples are desert and arctic terrain, along with almost all terrain extras)

This also marks a pretty much complete set of 'second stage' terrains. 'third stage' terrains would be things like actual plateaus, valleys, and such. I've no concrete plans on trying to make a complete set of third stages at this point. Also notable is that to work properly, these terrains would need different movement costs depending on whether you're moving across this terrain(where it would be fairly easy) and onto/off of these terrains, in which case it should have mountain-like difficulty.

I might redo flat foliage terrains in the future. Possible improvement from this would be minor.
Having a 'stalagmite forest' terrain would also be nice for potential underground-style map. I've no idea how I might go about making a good set of these.
Having an 'ice shelf' layer would also be nice for oceanic terrains. I've no idea how to go about making a good set of these.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

GriffonSpade wrote: I'm missing a bunch of line-item artist credits, if anyone can point me at any individual ones, especially in terrain.png, it would be appreciated. Amplio2 is unfortunately rather non-specific about a great number of its terrain sprite credits.
Maybe People#Graphics can help you to verify informed guesses. My uninformed and unverfified guesses for the forests + jungles:

Code: Select all

artists = "
    Hogne Håskjold 
    Tim F. Smith 
    Yautja
    Daniel Speyer
    Eleazar
"
That can't be correct for 16 forests + 14 Wesnoth jungles. On another terrain image (resources, roads, rails, extras) it was

artists = "
    Hogne Håskjold
    Daniel Speyer
    Yautja
    CapTVK
"
On the oceans I have TODO: FIX ARTISTS, whatever you have can't be worse. For the mountains:

artists = "
         Peter Arbor 
         Hogne Håskjold 
"
Some old mail addresses stripped, presumably they get already enough spam without posting them here. :P Translation of (bogus) Ã¥ to (correct) å with the help of Hixie's UTF-8 decoder (bug #22767, boils down to "my tools suck").
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:This also marks a pretty much complete set of 'second stage' terrains. [...]
These are great! Loads of stuff to mine for use showcasing engine features.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the island map generator works to demo the GT (planets/stars) tileset :D
GriffonSpade wrote:Having an 'ice shelf' layer would also be nice for oceanic terrains. I've no idea how to go about making a good set of these.
Ooh, ooh, do you take requests? I really want some nice graphics to enable putting sea ice in a ruleset. I can probably draw an icebreaker unit (just make a brightly coloured ship), but the terrain is I think beyond me.

Ideally, sea and lake ice, which cope with adjacency to open sea, land ice, and non-icy land. That's probably a tall order. Just sea ice would do.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

I'm pleasantly surprised by how well the island map generator works to demo the GT (planets/stars) tileset :D
Yeah, it took quite some finagling to finally get it to come out right. It's not perfect, of course, but it gives anyone using it somewhere to start. I think I'll be removing it from 2.4, though. It's just not able to handle the graphics well at all(Mostly due to the darkness_layer). Possibly likewise with 2.5, once 2.6.0 is finally released(Which should have all the ruleset stuff it needs enabled).
The map is intended to be mostly dominated by deep space, though each tile is intended to represent much larger areas than regular space, which is why it should have a much higher movement cost. Which is of course why 'warp-capable' ships then just ignore terrain movement costs. (No warp in regular space, of course!) And then starlanes would allow any ship to move at warp across deep space, and hyperlanes any ship even faster than warp.

Ooh, ooh, do you take requests? I really want some nice graphics to enable putting sea ice in a ruleset. I can probably draw an icebreaker unit (just make a brightly coloured ship), but the terrain is I think beyond me.

Ideally, sea and lake ice, which cope with adjacency to open sea, land ice, and non-icy land. That's probably a tall order. Just sea ice would do.
Hmm, how should it be drawn, though? As far as I know, sea ice pretty much looks the same as arctic: just an endless stretch of snow with little drifts and such.
Simplest method would be to simply copy current arctic terrain, and then change the current arctics to create a shore when touching water. When/if it gets done, Ice Shelf could then go over that.
Should it be drawn like 'icebergs', where the water can be seen through cracks? How big should the cracks be, if so? Or maybe just blue-ice cracks?
Should it be visually distinct, at least in the center, from normal arctic? Perhaps with a blue-ice tint like BFW's ice sheets? Or maybe that should be reserved for lake ice? or hmmm. I dunno. Any permanent ice usually gets snowed over.

...Because knowing is half the battle!

Unfortunately, it's usually the easier half.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:Should it be drawn like 'icebergs', where the water can be seen through cracks? How big should the cracks be, if so? Or maybe just blue-ice cracks?
This what I had in mind -- mostly white ice with frequent enough leads to indicate that it's water underneath.
GriffonSpade wrote:Should it be visually distinct, at least in the center, from normal arctic?
Definitely. In the ruleset I have in mind (and have tweaked the map generator for), it's (mostly-impassable) water terrain, whereas the land ice (the traditional Freeciv ice) is solid ground that you can (with difficulty) plod over. You definitely need to be able to see the difference.
GriffonSpade wrote:Perhaps with a blue-ice tint like BFW's ice sheets? Or maybe that should be reserved for lake ice?
Pale tinted terrain could work too, and make it easier to distinguish lake ice (by having a different pale hue).

(I'm a bit dissatisfied with having a whole separate "lake ice" terrain in the ruleset -- it's a bit fussy -- but it's necessary to make the freeze/thaw terrain transformations work sensibly in rulesets with lakes. I wouldn't expect rulesets have lake ice behave significantly differently from sea ice -- both are basically an obstruction.)
GriffonSpade wrote:Simplest method would be to simply copy current arctic terrain, and then change the current arctics to create a shore when touching water. When/if it gets done, Ice Shelf could then go over that.
Current "arctic" terrain is a ambiguous whether it's land or sea so it's generally left up to the artist's discretion (compare Amplio and Trident). To make the tileset tractable it might be necessary for a tileset to have "arctic_land"/"arctic_sea" for use by rulesets with sea ice, whose use isn't compatible with plain "arctic" tiles in the same ruleset (which behaves as before)? (Similar to some of the relations in XU.)

Here's how I think boundaries should look (ideally):

water          sea_ice        land_ice       land
water          -
sea_ice        jagged edge    -
land_ice       (ice?) cliffs  (ice?) cliffs  -
land           cliffs         cliffs         flat           -
(Where "jagged edge" is like Trident arctic/water, "ice cliffs" would be like Amplio arctic/water, "flat" is blended or something.)
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:2.5.11b
Ampliohexbig 2.5.11b (vanilla version only) is now available in the 2.5 modpack installer.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

So, making Water-Ice terrain for each water type turned out to be ridiculously easy. Just global selection of arctic's white tiles, each time with more tolerance, then paste each one into three new layers, make the opacity 100, 200, and 225, then flattened...then put the one tile overlaying existing water terrains. Now I just need to cut it up to make ice shelves. Once I get done, I think I'll put out A6B 2.5.12.

As for the regular arctic, I've always felt that among land units, only the Alpine Troops and maybe Explorer should be able to cross it.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

2.5.12 is up!