Freeciv-2.5 art status

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: Freeciv-2.5 art status

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:And while we're checking trident, maybe we could finally resolve bug #16675? Note that "Wont Fix" and "Invalid" (request) are valid resolutions we can end up to.
A bit late of a reply, but I actually did flatten it to two layers, I just added an Ice Shelf layer afterward. And now I went and mixed things up again.

Result:
Arctic tiles now have tundra under their glaciers, including blending with tundra tiles, eliminating grassy land between arctic/tundra blending.

Changes:
1) Retouched the first ice shelf sprite
2) Revamped Ocean and Arctic tiles
3) Added dummy sprite references as necessary for blending

Ocean changes:
Corner land-blending combined into base ocean tiles
Shorelines moved to a separate layer

Arctic changes:
Base layer sprite and matching changed to tundra
glacier moved to a separate layer

Was working on a big, double-scale version of trident when I hit upon this epiphany. (been working on it off and on for a few months, which I cleverly have named 'sextant'...because I can't rightly call a square tileset 'hexadent' ) Though there's a blank area where some of the old water tiles were, which might eventually warrant removing, but redoing the entire image and spec is migraine-inducing.

Submitted for review.
Contains edited trident.tilespec, tiles.png, and tiles.spec. And I forgot to check if there were any updates to these files since 2.5.1.
Edit: Confirmed that there haven't been any.
Trident.zip
(128.46 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

I've discovered translucent pixels in the second hill sprite at 151,0-158,0.

Contains the previous post's changes plus the fixes to said pixels.
tiles.png
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Latest trident updates handled in patch #6347
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

I was looking at amplio's outpost spritesand was inspirted to make this. Do you think this is better or worse than the 'low wall' version of the outpost?
outpost.png
outpost.png (4.02 KiB) Viewed 13494 times
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

GriffonSpade wrote:I was looking at amplio's outpost spritesand was inspirted to make this. Do you think this is better or worse than the 'low wall' version of the outpost?
outpost.png
I haven't tested this in context to see if it would make it easier to distinguish outpost from a fortress, but I wonder if we should make Fortress gfx different by having some stone instead of wooden structure there.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:
GriffonSpade wrote:I was looking at amplio's outpost spritesand was inspirted to make this. Do you think this is better or worse than the 'low wall' version of the outpost?
The attachment outpost.png is no longer available
I haven't tested this in context to see if it would make it easier to distinguish outpost from a fortress, but I wonder if we should make Fortress gfx different by having some stone instead of wooden structure there.
I always felt that the fortress /WAS/ stone, granite or something. Perhaps something more like a segmented polynesian city wall would be better to represent the outpost's woodenness?
outpost2.png
outpost2.png (1.94 KiB) Viewed 13198 times
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Trident's 0% hitpoints sprite got lost in the 2.5 edit. Filled in the blank (already referenced) sprite with 0% sprite.
tiles.png
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

GriffonSpade wrote:Trident's 0% hitpoints sprite got lost in the 2.5 edit. Filled in the blank (already referenced) sprite with 0% sprite.
bug #23898
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:I always felt that the fortress /WAS/ stone, granite or something. Perhaps something more like a segmented polynesian city wall would be better to represent the outpost's woodenness?
outpost2.png
(Committed as patch #6466)
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

cazfi wrote:The only open art questions for 2.5 in my list are those related to activity icons on the secondary tilesets. The icons in question are 'unit.convert' and base / road type specific building icons. Latter ones are something we may simply decide that those tilesets use same road building icon regardless of road type like they currently do.
I did 'unit.convert' in patch #6240.

So maybe we'll finally be done in 2.5.2? cazfi, is your missing gfx spreadsheet online somewhere in editable form?

Current status of activity icons is that amplio2 (=> cimpletoon) and trident have separate ones; hex2t, isotrident (=> isophex), and amplio modpack have old-style ones. I'm happy to leave it that way.