AmplioHexBig Tileset 2.4

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Re: amplio2hexbig tileset

Post by cazfi »

Maybe "Inaccessible" should be something else than just black. It's hard to tell which tiles are just not been mapped yet (unknown) and which ones are not worth exploring again (inaccessible).
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Hmmm, something like this, to break up the pure blackness a bit then?
inaccessible.png
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Just a note that I've just added hexemplio, tileset based on amplio2hexbig, to freeciv-2.6. If you still want to to maintain separate full version of amplio2hexbig for 2.6, you may want to rearrange it a bit so you use some files avallable from hexemplio instead of having copy of everything.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:Just a note that I've just added hexemplio, tileset based on amplio2hexbig, to freeciv-2.6. If you still want to to maintain separate full version of amplio2hexbig for 2.6, you may want to rearrange it a bit so you use some files avallable from hexemplio instead of having copy of everything.
Ah, I've not even started thinking much about 2.6 yet, bit ahead of me :P.
However, I'll continue working on ideas as they come up.
I'm currently trying to make new rivers, which do not connect at the same places as roads, and then I'll follow with canals, irrigation, and farmland. I just wish I could get my rivers to come out right like the ones from amplio!
dunnoob
Elite

Re: amplio2hexbig tileset 2.4

Post by dunnoob »

This stuff can be confusing. Several amplio2hexbig modpacks for 2.4 exist: 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7c, and 1.7d. If the ~/.freeciv/2.4/.control/modpack.list on my box doesn't lie I did not get amplio2hexbig as modpack (unclear). IOW, I can't tell which version I have and how I got it, but I could load it to produce a screenshot for the Projects-wiki page.

For 2.5 the tileset consists of multiple variants published in the AmplioHexBig 2.5 thread, last version as of today is 2.5.11b. The newest modpack as of today is 2.5.0.9. Somewhere between Amplio2hexbig 2.5.0.4 and AmplioHexbig 2.5.0.7 the tileset name lost the 2. And somewhere between 1.7d and 2.5.0.2 it acquired better version numbers: 2.5.0.x is for 2.5.

Suggestion, use 2.x.y.z, where 2.x is the freeciv version (2.5, 2.6, or 3.0), and y.z is the tileset version, without additional small letters as in 1.7c, 1.7d, or 2.5.11b, e.g., the latter could be 2.5.11.2.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

No sense in using the third number of freeciv version: That's pretty much ruleset stuff. For example,a6b 2.5.11 should work fine for 2.5.1 freeciv or 2.5.4 freeciv. Yes, some of the changes were large. And they are in the patch notes. I probably should do an update for 2.4 as well. It would likely be revamped using my current a6b standard.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Eh, I reread your post after I got back home where I can read at leisure. Maybe you're right about ditching the letters (In my rush I thought you were saying to use the freeciv current version). I think I'll do so in the future for patches and quick fixes(but leave the 'z' number version out on main releases).
As for the name change, it was patch 2.5.05.(It's actually the first thing listed, in all caps at that for the version) Basically, I was using less and less Amplio2-specific stuff. The actual original one I did was isophexbig, wherein I just took isophex tiles and blew them up. I've come a long way in my sprite editting skills since then.
That said, AmplioHexBig v2.4.00 is up! There are a few visible oddities(Notably the darkness layer isn't drawn over everything) and loss of function(custom rivers and roads from 2.5 for the most part got nixed) due to code limitations, but they all loaded up fine.
Any issues with the ModPack I wouldn't know about, I don't really mess with it. Though it's odd that 1.07c is still on it, 1.07d was a bugfix. I'm not actually sure why someone is using format 2.5.0.y either, it is actually 2.5.xx for my 2.5 (and now 2.4 is 2.4.xx) version formats (I found it likely that I would exceed 10 versions during 2.5)
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: AmplioHexBig Tileset 2.4

Post by GriffonSpade »

Fishing for advice here, should I leave in ocean-blending and thus have the shore-blending over top the darkness; or should I remove ocean-blending and have the shore-blending underneath the darkness? (Strictly 2.4 issue)

I'm still not 100% certain how I'm going to work with the mountain blending to reduce the 'tabs' sticking out on the bottom. (This is the main issue I will need to solve before the next major version)
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

The vanilla Ampliohexbig 2.4.00 tileset is now available in the 2.4 modpack installer.

(Since "Inaccessible" terrain was not included in rulesets supplied with 2.4, I've chosen to only include 'ampliohexbig' in the modpack, not 'ampliohexbig2' with the Inaccessible tile variant. This is mainly to spare longtime users ending up with the confusion of having ampliohexbig, ampliohexbig2, and amplio2hexbig installed. The ampliohexbig2 files are available on modpack.freeciv.org though.)
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Yes, quite. That's going away completely for the next version, regardless. Since it was a direct backport from 2.5, much of the work needed on 2.4 is stripping out or modifying terrains that are made to be used with features 2.4 simply doesn't have. To the extent that everything from GT, except probably the units, will be getting the axe from 2.4.