AmplioHexBig Tileset 2.4

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Re: amplio2hexbig tileset

Post by cazfi »

GriffonSpade wrote:Version 1.7a released with mines for all terrains. (just curious, but is the mine_sprite even used in 2.5? the HT2.4-2.5 doesn't mention it being removed, but it's controlled completely by terrain.ruleset in 2.5 isn't it?)
It's still in 2.5 (S2_5 stabilizing branch), it's removed from development version that will become 2.6.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Version 1.7b is missing rivers.png, which is referenced from rivers.spec which is referenced from amplio2hexbig.tilespec, so it fails to load.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

cazfi wrote:Version 1.7b is missing rivers.png, which is referenced from rivers.spec which is referenced from amplio2hexbig.tilespec, so it fails to load.
Now how the heck did THAT happen? Weird. Must've failed on a paste overwrite or something.(It existed in the main 1.7b directory, but not in the 1.7b part1 directory) Time for 1.7c, sigh.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I've now updated version available with modpack installer utility ('freeciv-modpack' in case of freeciv-2.4, any of gui options in case of later branches) to 1.7c in all branches. In case of S2_5 and TRUNK where tileset format is not yet frozen, versions available are compatible with latest freeciv revision, 24482.

Attached are patches that update S2_4 version to S2_5, and further to TRUNK, in case anybody needs them.
Attachments
a2h-1.7c-patches.7z
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

1.7d contains only 3 changes:
Bugfix to void.spec(only affects ruleset modders): properly references amplio2hexbig directory rather than amplio2hexbig2 (noticed this when I started to play with making a custom terrain ruleset in 2.4.2)
Cleaned up a couple editing artefacts in units.png: removed smoke from train that remained above freight
Edited appearance of unitcost.png: shifted food icons 1 pixel left to prevent overlap and replaced the existing icons at the top with ones made from the bottom(2 separate digit version) icons. (Not readily apparent in FC2.4)

I assume that these changes cause no problems with the patcher?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

1.7d available via modpack installer for all three branches - S2_4, S2_5, and TRUNK. S2_5 has already entered datafile format freeze, so this version should already work with any freeciv-2.5 release.
Attachments
a2h-1.7d-patches.7z
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

I tried the 1st version v1.7d, and I really liked it.
I'm a huge fan of hexes and althou I prefer trident-style tilesets such as hex2t, this new tileset will move to hexes many players in my community (greatturn).
However I have a couple of observations:
1. I don't really like river representation in these cases: tiles with connect river from (1) NE to NW, or (2) SE to SW, cause the river appears almost on the border (N border in the 1st case, S border in the 2nd one) and it is not clear at 1st glance that there's a river on that tile!
2. I would really love to see a NON-ISO hex tileset amplio style (i.e. with E,W,NE,NW,SE,SW borders). This would be great cause then we could start NON-ISO games and everybody could choose between the amplio-style tileset and the regular trident-style "hex2t" tileset. In ISO-HEX maps if you like plain ortogonal representation, you have only "isohex" tileset which is ugly and very unclear, so everybody would be forced to this new tileset, which althou very clear and beautiful, is not a good choice for low resolution screens and big maps,
Keep the good work!
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

monamipierrot wrote: 1. I don't really like river representation in these cases: tiles with connect river from (1) NE to NW, or (2) SE to SW, cause the river appears almost on the border (N border in the 1st case, S border in the 2nd one) and it is not clear at 1st glance that there's a river on that tile!
This was mainly a design choice to prevent the shenanigans of rivers flowing directly up and then turning back down single hills or mountains instead of flowing along the base of them. Sadly, rivers are a rather bit above my skill, and it took DAYS worth of tedious effort to finally mix, match, stretch, cut, and fill in pieces from amplio to get it looking good. (I would've preferred them being a bit closer to the base/top of the hill/mountain, but failed to ever get it to look right) It also puts it away from roads, helping to distinguish them when both are present.
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

got it. Still a awesome work
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

The amplio2hexbig 1.7d currently available for 2.5 via the modpack installer is missing some of the 2.5 nations in its flags.spec, which means flags for those nations don't display properly.

It should be just a case of adding the relevant names to flags.spec, I think. I don't expect the set of nations in 2.5 to change again now so copying from the relevant file in S2_5 svn should do.

(I haven't thought hard about why amplio2hexbig needs a list of all the nations and whether it can be avoided. I have a tangentially related Cunning Plan in this area, but no imminent prospect of implementing it.)