Isometric Hexagonal Amplio? Ressurecting it or make it anew?

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
HanduMan

Re: Isometric Hexagonal Amplio? Ressurecting it or make it a

Post by HanduMan »

HanduMan wrote:
GriffonSpade wrote:Handuman, is it bad what I'm most impressed with, of all things in your tileset, is your pine trees? :D

....may I use them in my tileset? My attempts at making a taiga tile have been....yeah. :?
Not my pine trees. I copied them from somewhere for a custom terrain (Arctic forest). I'm suspecting Freeland by Peter Arbor, have to check it some day.
I take that back. The pine trees are stolen from Battle of Wesnoth by David White. Lots of nice graphics there.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Ah, I see. didn't really know what wesnoth was other than the deciduous trees came from there!
HanduMan wrote:
I believe they have originally been released under some GPL so you can use them as you wish if you think that those isometric sprites fit in your non-isometric tileset. You don't need my permission for it.
My tiles are larger, so I can copy/paste a few into lairs and then merge them :)

However I've hit an odd speed bump: when i try to copy/paste/replace coast references(ex: 0, 2, "t.l0.coast_cell_u010") with lake references (ex: 1, 0, "t.l0.lake_cell_u000"), when I add a tile_x reference in the main file it crashes.

[tile_lake]
is_blended = 1
num_layers = 1
layer0_match_type = "water"
layer0_match_with = "water"
layer0_sprite_type = "corner"

Does lake have some different syntax? I notice it is different in amplio2 with coast/floor using i/w and lake using l/s. ( 2, 3, "t.l1.coast_cell_r_i_w_w" vs 11, 3, "t.l0.lake_cell_r_l_s_s")
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:However I've hit an odd speed bump: when i try to copy/paste/replace coast references(ex: 0, 2, "t.l0.coast_cell_u010") with lake references (ex: 1, 0, "t.l0.lake_cell_u000"), when I add a tile_x reference in the main file it crashes.
What sort of crash? Does it give a message?
(Freeciv shouldn't actually crash in an uncontrolled way regardless of what you put in the tileset, but it might die with a message describing the syntax problem.)

I'm afraid I can't help with your actual query.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

This thread is getting contaminated, a split might be in order?
GriffonSpade wrote: However I've hit an odd speed bump: when i try to copy/paste/replace coast references(ex: 0, 2, "t.l0.coast_cell_u010") with lake references (ex: 1, 0, "t.l0.lake_cell_u000"), when I add a tile_x reference in the main file it crashes.
Does lake have some different syntax? I notice it is different in amplio2 with coast/floor using i/w and lake using l/s. ( 2, 3, "t.l1.coast_cell_r_i_w_w" vs 11, 3, "t.l0.lake_cell_r_l_s_s")
Maybe you should first try to learn and understand what those notations are about? Just copying and pasting things randomly is probably not the best way to do it?
Treefingers

Post by Treefingers »

I'll echo JTN in asking for a crash description. And I had no trouble building lake tags from coast/floor tags via find/replace.

What I did need to make sure beforehand, though, was that the tilespec was set up accordingly. My non-iso hex set used hex2t as a starting point, and hex2t uses the coast graphics for both coast and lakes. So I had to separate the two to make lakes unique.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Crash description is the game completely implodes upon either switching to the tileset (when already in a game) or when trying to boot up the server (not standalone)

The notations are the various directions (though in fact, some of them should not be included in hex tilesets, due to 2 of the corner pieces only having contact with 2 other tiles, not 3), but I thought it might have a different syntax for lake for some unknown reason, but it turned out to be something else.

Apparently the floor and lake tiles do note take kindly to having is_blended = 1. Does anyone have any idea why this might be?
Edit: Nevermind, found the reason while looking through the images: they need a seperate blending tile declared (because it's corner I assume.)

Anyhow, tileset errors all seem to just do the uncontrolled crash from what I've seen, but ruleset crashes explain the exact line that caused the crash.
HanduMan wrote: Maybe you should first try to learn and understand what those notations are about? Just copying and pasting things randomly is probably not the best way to do it?
If it's not documented in the readme or the beginning of the file, all I can really do is extrapolate from a comparative pattern analysis.
ampliohexgsss.jpg
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

GriffonSpade wrote:Anyhow, tileset errors all seem to just do the uncontrolled crash from what I've seen, but ruleset crashes explain the exact line that caused the crash.
Both of this will improve in 2.5. Ruleset errors should not cause freeciv to crash at all, but just to output the error and not switching to new ruleset (except if the error occurs with default/classic ruleset in which case there's no place to retreat).
Tileset errors still crash the client, but it does popup error message to gui before doing so. Though there's not much new error messages, this hopefully makes it easier to notice them. Those same messages have always been printed to the terminal where the client has been started. That's why it's beneficial to start client from terminal while developing tilesets instead of launching it from desktop icon.