Making a new scenario

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Dox4242

Making a new scenario

Post by Dox4242 »

I'm trying to start up a scenario...I generated a coastline and want to see it in action before I fine tune islands and paint terrain, so I added the scenario section and copied some bits from other scenarios, but I couldn't get the right magic words in the right order. :(

Suggestions, please? If there's a skeleton file I can paste a 512 x 256 map into, that'd be my choice, but then I would ask if the gamecode can generate specials or would I have to paint those as well?
cazfi
Elite

Re: Making a new scenario

Post by cazfi »

Dox4242 wrote:I'm trying to start up a scenario...I generated a coastline and want to see it in action before I fine tune islands and paint terrain, so I added the scenario section and copied some bits from other scenarios, but I couldn't get the right magic words in the right order. :(

Suggestions, please? If there's a skeleton file I can paste a 512 x 256 map into, that'd be my choice, but then I would ask if the gamecode can generate specials or would I have to paint those as well?
Which version are you using? It sounds like you are doing manually things that the editor could do. For example to add scenario section, make it a scenario (open "property editor" (rightmost icon) in edit mode, select "Game" tab, toggle "scenario" on, Apply, Edit -> Save Scenario )
Dox4242

Post by Dox4242 »

I found those options to create a scenario...so I started a new game, set the map dimensions to 512 x 256, edited the scenario options, and saved it. Then I opened the saved scenario file*, copy/pasted my coastline over the original map, then tried to load it. The first red error message from the server said there was incomplete map data, proceed at own risk. When I tried to start the game, about 650 terrain errors popped out, and it didn't start.

All the error messages were the same:
in terrain_index() [../../../../common/terrain.c::138]: assertion 'pterrain' failed.

edit: Forgot to mention I'm running 2.4.0

* opened scenario in text editor, to be precise
Dox4242

Post by Dox4242 »

*slaps forehead*

I finally noticed my syntax was off...instead of putting t0000=":::::::::::", I used t000=":::::::::::::". Derp de derp! :roll:
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

And now it works?
~ AVL
Dox4242

Post by Dox4242 »

Aye. It seems the "t" must be followed by 4 digits to be acceptable to the save file parser. Although I have 256 lines in my map, while 650-670 error messages popped up.....
Cynther

Post by Cynther »

Dox4242 wrote:I found those options to create a scenario...so I started a new game, set the map dimensions to 512 x 256, edited the scenario options, and saved it. Then I opened the saved scenario file*, copy/pasted my coastline over the original map, then tried to load it. The first red error message from the server said there was incomplete map data, proceed at own risk. When I tried to start the game, about 650 terrain errors popped out, and it didn't start.

in terrain_index() [../../../../common/terrain.c::138]: assertion 'pterrain' failed.

In which folder did you find the saved scenario? I do not see mine in [user]/.freeciv/ or [freeciv]/data/scenarios/

Thank you.
Cynther

Post by Cynther »

Cynther wrote:
Dox4242 wrote:I found those options to create a scenario...so I started a new game, set the map dimensions to 512 x 256, edited the scenario options, and saved it. Then I opened the saved scenario file*, copy/pasted my coastline over the original map, then tried to load it. The first red error message from the server said there was incomplete map data, proceed at own risk. When I tried to start the game, about 650 terrain errors popped out, and it didn't start.

In which folder did you find the saved scenario? I do not see mine in [user]/.freeciv/ or [freeciv]/data/scenarios/

Thank you.
Nevermind. Apparently, there are two separate save folders, one for logs and autosaves and another for manual saves. On my Win 7 system they are \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\[Freeciv]\ and \AppData\Roaming\.freeciv\, respectively. I did not set the $HOME variable on installation, so I assume those are default locations.