Place to keep art resources relevant to Freeciv

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Place to keep art resources relevant to Freeciv

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Found only the ones I already have for 2.3.4 and 2.4
My new question is: Are the older tilesets compatible with newer versions of Freeciv? I'm refering about the Hires iso from 2005.
There's no many tilesets for 2.3, and especially for 2.4 that is not yet released (it often seems that artists start working only after stable release). Tilesets are not compatible between feature versions, i.e, 2.2.0, 2.3.0, and 2.4.0 are all incompatible in that respect. But if you really like some a bit older tileset, updating it for newer version shouldn't be too much work. See for example http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_up ... 2.3_to_2.4
Arbogast wrote:The windows theme was a silver version of the default theme, with some various small details like font size.
If we're talking about gtk-client, your selection is not only those themes provided by freeciv (there's only freeciv's own "Freeciv" theme), but any gtk+ theme. Maybe you had such a "Windows" theme installed to your system and no longer have?
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

That is correct, sir. I did have that 'windows' theme somewhere around versions 1.7 and 2.0. But that was on an older PC. Everything I have now are recent installs. No big deal but merci anyway.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I finally found it! It's this one: Maybe it was not called 'Windows'... No big deal, but I'm looking for GUIs that give a maximum view, like the SDL one.
Anyway merci for your attention.

While we are at it, maybe you could give a tip or two:
*How do I make the name of the author appear in the quotes?
*How can I make the inserts appear in their proper order? see my post 'Celts everywhere'. That's why I posted it as is.
Again, merci

BTW, you guys are doing a great job! I think that FreeCiv will become one of the greatest games available.
Attachments
windows-theme.jpg
ngunjaca
Veteran

Post by ngunjaca »

well the last time a saw the windows theme was in freeciv 2.1.5 (long time ago). the windows theme was by far the smoothest fastest gui freeciv had.
anyway, is there a guide how to make a theme? ... going to search the freeciv wiki for that one
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

So it WAS called 'Windows' theme...
Is it available for recent versions of FreeCiv?
What about the 'Realism' Tileset?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

To answer both theme creation and Windows theme availabilty questions: freeciv gtk -clients use theming of the gtk, so the questions are not any way freeciv-specific.

https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeArt/Tutorials/GtkThemes

http://art.gnome.org/themes

http://art.gnome.org/faq.php
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Actually, that's specific to gtk2, and as we will be phasing gtk2-client out in the future, your effort is probably better spent on theming gtk3-client.

http://worldofgnome.org/making-gtk3-the ... -1-basics/
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Aahg! :mrgreen:
Thanks Cazfi, but that programming is way above my head. I even downloaded the GTK3 tutorial but what the heck?
I'm looking for that grey/silver theme that was called 'something (windows)', and maybe a version compatible with recent versions of Freeciv.
As someone said, it was much faster than the default theme.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Which OS you use? I have no idea how you get gtk+ themes to Windows, but if you're already using gnome-desktop, you are likely to have bunch of themes to select from Game->Local->Graphics->Theme already. If you run Linux/Mac OSX, but not with gnome, you can still install gtk+ stuff with your distributions usual package manager.

For simple nad fast theme I suggest checking "Clearlooks" out. (Again, no idea how you get it for Windows, it has been part of the system everywhere I've ever needed gtk+ themes)
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Cazfi: zo zorry, I just got back to this post to discover your post.
I use XP-SP3. Wish I could understand all that about 'gnome-desktop' thing.
Now here is a screenshot of the '(MS)-windows' theme I found in one of my older version (2.1.8) of freeciv. It's in the default package as well as an another one named 'Raleigh'. So, if there is a way of updating it (them) to 2.3.x and above... It would be eye candy!).
The screen shot was reduced to 800x640 from 1280x1024 wich is my screen resolution.
Attachments
MS-windows.png