Place to keep art resources relevant to Freeciv

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
sveinung
Elite

Re: Place to keep art resources relevant to Freeciv

Post by sveinung »

Arbogast wrote:I use XP-SP3. Wish I could understand all that about 'gnome-desktop' thing.
It isn't relevant for you since you use Windows. In case you still wish to know here is a translation of the terms:
  • Gnome is one of the most common desktop environments on GNU/Linux. If someone use Linux without Android they probably use GNU/Linux. Relevant because the Freeciv GTK client uses GTK like GNOME does.
  • A package manager is a program that takes care of downloading, installing and keeping your programs and core system up to date. Think of all the notices that some software wish to be updated when you log into Windows merged with Windows update. Now imagine that there only is one notice, that it takes care off all software on your system (including those that don't have new version notices on Windows) and that you use it to find, install and download stuff as well.
Last edited by sveinung on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK%2B_Preference_Tool ) gives this ( http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Main/Home ), link for installing gtk-themes to windows. If I read it correctly, you need to install http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/home/ind ... erenceTool which package also includes the themes themselves.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

oh boy! And I thought I spoke english! I do not understand all you said... :oops:
But hey! I shall check all that in the early morning.
But I'm just interested in those themes '(MS) windows' and 'Raleigh'.
Hear me: I'm just a player with a little graphics trown in, all that 'coding' and altering rulesets and such, it ain't my bag.
Do accept my thanks to your attemps, tho.

This site is more concerned with 'coders' than 'players', right?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:But I'm just interested in those themes '(MS) windows' and 'Raleigh'.
The "MS-Windows theme" is mentioned on that site, so I hope it's one of the themes their package contains. But now that I looked the actual downloads page ( http://gtk-win.sourceforge.net/home/ind ... /Downloads ) I'm a bit worried: Compatible with GTK+ versions 2.14 through 2.22. - Gtk2 shipped with freeciv is 2.24.

Further, gtk2-themes-2009-09-07-ash.exe, comment says: If you want to install this package with some other GTK+ runtime (NOT the one distributed here), you should pick the installation path carefully. - I have no idea if this affects freeciv installation or not.

Hopefully I can test this a bit on a Windows machine on Thursday myself.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Arbogast wrote:But I'm just interested in those themes '(MS) windows' and 'Raleigh'.
Tonight I will have access to a computer that has Windows installed. I'll try to see if I'm able to change the theme to what you mentioned. If I'm able to do it I'll tell you how I did it.
Update: I think I found out. The bad news is that among the long list of installed themes I was not able to find one called '(MS) windows'.
Arbogast wrote:This site is more concerned with 'coders' than 'players', right?
I think what you are observing has a different explanation. It is about people not knowing what is reasonable to expect other people to know. I absolutely admit that this applies to me. I suspect it applies to you too. To learn to communicate with each other we have to point out what we don't understand and what we suspect the other assumes we know. (At least when we care about the information the other tries to give) I'll start: I think you assume that I know more about Windows (XP or otherwise) than I do. I don't use Windows on my own computers. I know how to install something in it. I don't know how you change the theme. The last time I changed a theme in Windows Windows 98 was the most recent version of Windows. I have been told the way you do the theme changed in Windows XP. Hopefully I'll figure it out tonight.
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Just a quick merci to Cazfi and sveinung for the two topics that are close to my enjoyment of Freeciv. :mrgreen:
But it's going to take me a long while to understand it all! :oops:
(as a starter, I tried to install the GTK thing and here is the result:)
Attachments
GTK blues.jpg
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Savefile format version 10 it complains about is freeciv-2.4 format. Screenshot does not tell which version you are running. If that's freeciv-2.3, it can't load newer format than that of its own (but 2.4 can load games saved in older format of 2.3)
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Cazfi and sveinung: I'm running both "Freeciv-2.4.0-RC2-gtk2\freeciv-gtk2.cmd" & "Freeciv-2.4.0-RC2-sdl\freeciv-sdl.cmd" on a Windows XP-SP3. (Maybe I could use this as a signature.)

Now, I'm sure that it's all my lack of properly understanding the install instructions, nothing wrong (I hope) with the themes themselves.

On the other hand, the '(MS) windows' or the 'Raleigh' are NOT windows themes, but a GUIs from within Freeciv itself. As I said in another post, I found them in a old "Freeciv 2.1.8 (GTK+ client)".

These comments concern your posts in "Install new GTK Theme in Windows" and in "Place to keep art resources relevant to Freeciv". I hope that this is clearing my posts, so thanks for bearing with an old f**t like me.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:On the other hand, the '(MS) windows' or the 'Raleigh' are NOT windows themes, but a GUIs from within Freeciv itself. As I said in another post, I found them in a old "Freeciv 2.1.8 (GTK+ client)
They are gtk themes. Could we understand each other if we talked about softare stack? In bottom there's Windows. On top of that is gtk, and on top of that is freeciv gtk-client. Gtk is used by many different programs, not only by freeciv, and it's not part of freeciv, though our windows installer makes your life easier by installing also it.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Arbogast wrote:Cazfi and sveinung: I'm running both "Freeciv-2.4.0-RC2-gtk2\freeciv-gtk2.cmd" & "Freeciv-2.4.0-RC2-sdl\freeciv-sdl.cmd" on a Windows XP-SP3. (Maybe I could use this as a signature.)
Then I suspect that savegame to be simply corrupt. After all its name ("interrupted") indicates it has been created as emergency save (attempt) when freeciv has had some problem, and going to shut down.