Alio - tileset for Alien World

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Alio - tileset for Alien World

Post by cazfi »

In the hopes that this way may attract more artists to contribute to alien ruleset compatible tileset, I'm setting up tileset structure for new tileset. (See this thread for earlier discussion about tileset for alien ruleset) The new tileset, called 'alio' for now, begins almost as copy of amplio2. I just rename tags to ones used as primary tags in alien ruleset, and remove stuff that's not needed with alien ruleset (it has less units, techs, etc than traditional rulesets). At that point we already have a tileset that can be used with alien ruleset, though using amplio2 gfx. After that it's simply a matter of replacing the sprite gfxs to suitable ones. Thus it should be possible to make even single-sprite contributions to improve the existing tileset, instead of single artist expected to create entire tileset.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Alio - tileset for Alien World

Post by cazfi »

Got first releasable version of Alio ready. It can be downloaded from homepage of alien ruleset.

There will be some need to adjust this skeleton. Tilesets share some common gfx by simply referring to the shared resources. For some parts that's possible for alio too, but the exact selection of the common gfx to use still needs some fine tuning.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Version 0.0.2 of alio available from homepage of alien ruleset. Still no real alien gfx - still using 100% gfx directly copied from amplio2.

- Tileset priority set lesser than that of amplio2 & friends so that having alio installed does not interfere with play with classic rules. Alio, that's incompatible with classic rules, won't ever be automatically selected instead of amplio2.
- Government icons added
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:Version 0.0.2 of alio available from homepage of alien ruleset. Still no real alien gfx - still using 100% gfx directly copied from amplio2.
Version 0.0.3.

- Added Inaccessible terrain gfx soon required by alien ruleset

Tested tileset also with freeciv 2.5 -branch, and it works there too.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:Version 0.0.2 of alio available from homepage of alien ruleset. Still no real alien gfx - still using 100% gfx directly copied from amplio2.
Versions 2.5-0.0.4 and 2.6-0.0.4 for freeciv S2_5 and TRUNK respectively available.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Versions 2.5-0.1.0 and 2.6-0.1.0 available. 2.5-0.1.0 is compatible with final Freeciv-2.5 tileset format.
Mateng

Post by Mateng »

Thanks, after I removed the directories I downloaded from Github and reinstalled via modpack installer, the tileset is available in Options > Local Client. However, when I apply it, the game crashes. When I checked, the folder /freeland has not been created in the /data directory
I have only tried with Freeciv-2.5.0-beta1. No biggie, I just play with amplio2.

Can I provide you with some kind of error log? If so, where can I find it?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Alien ruleset has been changed to default to hex topology, so these square based tilesets are no longer way to go.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

First usable draft of Alio rivers/tunnels on 126x64 iso-hex tileset (like A6B and derivatives).

Brown river - Water changed hue from blue to brown (dark orange), quick gradient from brown to blue on outlets
Green river - Water changed hue from blue to green (dark green), quick gradient from green to blue on outlets
Burrow tube - Transparent black tunnel with translucent-silver lining.
Tunnel - Transparent sepia tunnel with translucent-sepia lining. Visible at the same time as roads/rails. Needs revision for increased visibility on radiating rocks terrain.

Specs are my test specs, and will require editing to be used.
Attachments
Alio Rivers-Tunnels v001.zip
(73.55 KiB) Downloaded 1757 times
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

GriffonSpade wrote:First usable draft of Alio rivers/tunnels on 126x64 iso-hex tileset (like A6B and derivatives).

Brown river - Water changed hue from blue to brown (dark orange), quick gradient from brown to blue on outlets
Green river - Water changed hue from blue to green (dark green), quick gradient from green to blue on outlets
Burrow tube - Transparent black tunnel with translucent-silver lining.
Tunnel - Transparent sepia tunnel with translucent-sepia lining. Visible at the same time as roads/rails. Needs revision for increased visibility on radiating rocks terrain.

Specs are my test specs, and will require editing to be used.
Initial alio.tilespec commit has been made to freeciv svn (S2_6 & TRUNK). At the moment it's just a copy of toonhex.tilespec. S2_6 version is just maintained in freeciv svn, as per current plan it won't get released as part of freeciv-2.6 (alien ruleset itself is in the same situation)

These rivers are being handled in patch #6040