Art required for freeciv proper (3.0)

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Art required for freeciv proper (3.0)

Post by cazfi »

Open bugs in category "art" (usually missing gfx) are listed with query: http://gna.org/bugs/index.php?group=fre ... ory_id=103
Some art needs are not listed as "bugs", but as "features". Query for those: http://gna.org/patch/index.php?group=fr ... ory_id=103

The following 'metaticket' in our bug tracker link to art required for 3.0 release (work that still needs doing is in red/pink):
patch #5690
sveinung
Elite

Re: Art required for freeciv proper (3.0)

Post by sveinung »

The tileset can now mark visually that a unit wants the player to decide what it should do. The tag is named "unit.action_decision_want". You can see how it is supposed to work in the the attached screen shot. I realize that the test art I used in the screen shot isn't good enough. I have therefore opened a request for art in our patch tracker.

I'm fairly new to working on Freeciv's graphics. Let me know if something is missing.

Edit (1st April 2016): Updated the post to reflect that the support now is there.
Attachments
One Spy and one Diplomat that both want to pop up the action selection dialog.
One Spy and one Diplomat that both want to pop up the action selection dialog.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

The above links to Gna! haven't worked for a long time. It went down. We started using Hosted Redmine as our new issue tracker.

New links
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

The sandbox ruleset now has Castle extras as an upgrade to the Fortress extra (that it self is an upgrade to the Fort extra). A Castle in a fortress allows it to claim territory and to see cardinally adjacent tiles even when empty. They require Feudalism to build (but some are placed on the map at the start of the game in 3.1). Art requested here.
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

I sent you a message about the graphics we made for this.
Lexxie
Veteran

Post by Lexxie »

OK, included here are 2 castles, I will discuss why 2.

A special thing about the castle base type, is it hides the units inside. So in a way it is more like a city that hides what's inside.
After doing art and testing, I discovered that this makes a user experience issue!

1. The art can be like other bases, and show empty interior so you can see the terrain. But then, it's very confusing because it looks like an unoccupied base, when really it's occupied but you can't see what's in it.

OR

2. The art can look more like a city (or big castle), and it's obvious you can't see inside because it looks closed behind walls. But then the problem is, it's just like a large size 15 city, and it's hard to see the terrain under it without middle-click to get tile info.

So, then I did a compromise. I went back to the art for #1, and made it "hint" a little more that you can't see inside, while still getting a tiny hint what the terrain might be (but not much.) And so now it is up to ruleset designer to pick between the pros and cons for a base that hides the units inside:

Q. Do you want to see the terrain but the castle looks empty? Or do you want to not see the terrain but it's very clear you can't see who is inside and that it might not be empty?
A: You get to choose.

Also included is a quick unit activity sprite I did for making castle.

1. unit activity icon, bottom row , position 3:
activities.png
activities.png (25.54 KiB) Viewed 8790 times
2. Castle sprites, from left to right
castle_closed_fg
castle_closed_bg
castle_open_fg
castle_open_bg
castles.png
castles.png (31.2 KiB) Viewed 8790 times
Example of closed castle on map. As you see, very little idea what terrain it's on:
closed_castle.png
Example of open castle on map. This one is on a mountain, which you can mostly see:
open_castle.png
open_castle.png (161.23 KiB) Viewed 8790 times
These and some other much more exciting things, will be in the launch of the Multiplayer2-Caravel ruleset coming in March 2021 at https://www.freecivweb.org
FCW Community chat server:
https://discord.gg/g2cGjTV
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

Playing with the 3.0.0-beta2 - there's a new action enabler "Heal Unit", and the sandbox ruleset has a new unit "Mechanic" which can use that action to heal other units. But it doesn't have a graphic for its graphic tag "u.mechanic" (graphic_alt = "u.engineers"). I like the concept - requesting someone to make a "Mechanic" graphic.
Since sandbox is part of the "official" release, should I submit an enhancement request to hostedredmine?
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Dino the Dinosore wrote: Since sandbox is part of the "official" release, should I submit an enhancement request to hostedredmine?
Better to osdn. I think sandbox and experimental rulesets are not guaranteed to be perfectly playable and may lack any features that are not necessary for launching, so if you don't know specifically who will do it the ticket may hang anywhere forever.