sea improvements ? sea cities ?

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
ricorico94

sea improvements ? sea cities ?

Post by ricorico94 »

Hi,
In a commercial Civ, I could use sea improvements (fish farms,..) and even sea cities (linked by undersea tubes to land, etc..) with their own deep sea improvements and resources. I'd love to re-create such features in Freeciv, because when playing on random maps, it allows a different gameplay when progressing in technos, even if you're on a small island.
Do you think it would be complex ? I've not yet looked at how to mod Freeciv, so I'd like to understand if it would be reasonably feasible or not.

Ricorico94
heilkitty

Re: sea improvements ? sea cities ?

Post by heilkitty »

"Aliens" ruleset features sea cities. And I'm sure sea improvements are not that hard to implement. I dunno about decent AI support of them though.
cazfi
Elite

Re: sea improvements ? sea cities ?

Post by cazfi »

For freeciv-2.6 I'm currently working on "extras" features, to make them easier to mod in ruleset. "Extras" is basically all of "specials", "bases", and "roads" (which itself was split out from hardcoded "specials" in 2.5 to much more moddable concept).
Meanwhile you can go a long way by defining sea improvements as "bases" (or "roads") and having their bonuses defined via effects. See patch #3313 for an example of Nets I've implemented that way. AI won't build any such improvements to ocean tiles, but for human players it works.