Your opinion about the Civ2Civ3 ruleset

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
MikeDuk

Your opinion about the Civ2Civ3 ruleset

Post by MikeDuk »

I would like to know your opinion about the Civ2Civ3 ruleset, as compared to the Classic ruleset. The README (https://github.com/freeciv/freeciv/blob ... E.civ2civ3) says:
- Don't be afraid by the amount of changes, I think this ruleset is
easier to learn than classic/civ2 rules, and it is designed so there is
not a big disadvantage when you do not play optimally. I hope both
rookies and experienced players can enjoy it.

- Rules that allowed a sudden boost were removed or redesigned. The
result should be a simpler and more linear development of your cities,
and a slower paced gameplay; with governments that keep a similar
balance along the different ages; and smoother differences between
terrains, units, buildings or wonders

I have only played Classic so far, but I have read the Civ2Civ3 ruleset and I don't think it is easier to learn than the Classic ruleset, because now some wonders have prerequisites to be built (like building improvements in the city first, not just researching certain technology). Some wonders only work for cities with certain improvements (if you have built a cathedral, library or stock market, or example). Some wonders unlock benefits for all players, but others just for the owner. Terrain works differently for wheeled units. City defense depends on its size. I mean you have to keep many more things in mind.

I think there should be a disadvantage when you don't play optimally. Otherwise, it doest'n matter if you are not a good player, you'll get just marginally worse results than a good player.

Also, if "governments keep a similar balance along the different ages", there is no incentive to use more "advanced" forms of government.

Those of you who have played Civ2Civ3 after learning Classic, have you reverted back to playing Classic? Did you like Civ2Civ3 more and why?
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Your opinion about the Civ2Civ3 ruleset

Post by Ignatus »

Well, the rules look a bit messy after Classic, but with some practice you can get used to them soon. Commercial CivIII has much more advanced rules (that are partially mimicked in this ruleset) but it's not much harder than CivI/II.

Actually, more ballanced governments advantages/disadvantages provide you with more options, with the gov you switch to depending on your current playing style. It's hard to win without a stage of scientific/trade boom, so you still need to switch to Demo/Fed in time, but you can go for early military victory and keep most of the game to Monarchy.

And, actually, after you have played enough in Civ2civ3 and Classic, you usually get bored of beating AI and join Longturn that has its own rulesets.