new rulesets offerred

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

new rulesets offerred

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

A couple years ago I put out my first version of my first custom ruleset, I now have improved that one and made another new one.

The dino ruleset is based mostly on the experimental ruleset with some things from the civ2civ3 ruleset, including the variable city radius and new unit class "Big Land". Also has wild animals, plague, disasters, culture victory and my own tweaks.

The dino2 ruleset is based on the dino ruleset with some things added from the mp2 ruleset - government types Fundamentalism, Communism changed for better balance, new wonders added, new terrain alterations Fort, Canal and Naval Base, and many new units added.

Un-zip the zip file and follow the directions in the README to merge the files into your share/freeciv folder. Comments welcome.
Attachments
dino-share.zip
(764.94 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Last edited by Dino the Dinosore on Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: new rulesets offerred

Post by Corbeau »

Do you have a full summary or a list of changes?

You may want to create a page like this one:
https://freeciv.fandom.com/wiki/Simulation_Ruleset
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Attached renamed copies of the README.dino and README.dino2 files here, this is also what you would see in the help browser in "About Current Ruleset". They don't have full details of all my changes, but do have more info.

Creating a page on the wiki is something I should be able to do, I've edited other wiki pages before. Looked at your Simulation Ruleset page - that's a lot of work you did, kudos to you :D That ruleset looks intriguing and I'll try eperimenting with parts of it.
Attachments
README.dino2.txt
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
README.dino.txt
(2.87 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Mind posting some screenshots? Always interesting to see some game action of new rulesets.
djconklin
Veteran

Post by djconklin »

I'm having trouble getting this installed.

On one readme there seems to be 3 different ways of doing it.

The 1st one says: "Copy the 3 files from dino-share/freeciv to your
share/freeciv folder, replacing the file amplio2.tilespec."

I have 4 files and 6 folders there.

Can the zip file be made "idiot-proof"? Say, one self-extracting file?
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

I have updated the installation instructions in the README, hope this is clearer - here's the new version:
The un-zipped dino-share folder contains a freeciv folder which corresponds
to your share/freeciv folder. Do these steps:

1. Copy the files dino.serv and dino2.serv from dino-share/freeciv to your
share/freeciv folder.

2. Replace the file share/freeciv/amplio2.tilespec with the file dino-share/freeciv/amplio2.tilespec.

3. Copy the folders dino-share/freeciv/dino and dino-share/freeciv/dino2 to your share/freeciv folder.

4. Copy the 8 files in the folder dino-share/freeciv/amplio2 to your share/freeciv/amplio2 folder, replacing the pre-existing files units.png and units.spec.

5. Copy the 7 files in the folder dino-share/freeciv/buildings to your share/freeciv/buildings folder.

6. Copy the 2 files in the folder dino-share/freeciv/misc to your share/freeciv/misc folder, replacing the pre-existing files buildings-large.spec and wonders-large.spec.

7. Copy the 4 files in the folder dino-share/freeciv/wonders to your share/freeciv/wonders folder.

After things are working OK you can delete the dino-share folder.
One self-extracting file would mean zipping the entire share/freeciv folder (26 MB for 3300 items, instead of 1.5 MB for 58 items). That would also be a problem for anyone who already has their own customizations.

I'll see what I can do for screenshots.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

OK, I hacked up some screen shots. A lot of the new added stuff I recycled from the mp2 ruleset and graphics from that can be seen on the wiki -
https://freeciv.fandom.com/wiki/Multipl ... ame_Manual

Here is a Galley about to be sunk by a Kraken
Galley+Kraken.png
Galley+Kraken.png (33.73 KiB) Viewed 7517 times
This is a Balloon next to a Snow Leapord
Balloon+Snow.png
Balloon+Snow.png (50.55 KiB) Viewed 7517 times
Amsterdam has built a a Hospital, Water Mill, and Temple of Artemis
Amsterdam buildings.png
Dinopolis shows off the expanded city radius, increased with tech Railroad and city size 10. This is what a successful one-city-challenge looks like. with Farmland, Supermarket and Genetic Lab (+25% food) it could grow from size 24 to over 50.
Dinopolis.png
The experimental ruleset allows an even bigger city radius, but I found it to be too much, city size > 90 is ridiculous and causes problems with the UI.

And a Cargo Ship passing thru a Canal
Canal+CargoShip.png
Canal+CargoShip.png (105.67 KiB) Viewed 7517 times
Canals can be built only on low land tiles next to an ocean or lake, and so can't be longer than 2 tiles. In version 3.0 I hope to allow Canals to also be built next to a Canal so they can be longer. Erie canal, someday...
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Dino the Dinosore wrote:In version 3.0 I hope to allow Canals to also be built next to a Canal so they can be longer. Erie canal, someday...
Can it be done with another extra "Inland canal" requiring "ExtraFlag", "Canal", "CAdjacent" with giving this flag to both extras? (And maybe with some advanced tech requirements, to do long channels more diffiult to build, though China has done it centuries ago between its rivers).
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

As far as I know, Erie Canal can't transport battleships and aircraft carriers so you may want to take that into account.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

I tried and failed with an approach similar to the extra "Inland canal" idea - problem is that it only gets you one more tile. To make the canal go further inland then you need another extra "Inland canal2" requiring "ExtraFlag", "Inland canal", "CAdjacent", which again only gets you one more tile, so then you need another extra "Inland canal3" requiring "ExtraFlag", "Inland canal2", "CAdjacent", etc. The ideal solution would be to have multiple reqs that allow Canal next to Oceanic, River or Canal. The issue of requirement vectors has been discussed in a couple other threads - http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91457 and http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=551

I have actually seen what's left of the Erie Canal (which connects a river and a lake), and I don't think it could even handle a Destroyer. OTOH, Wikipedia has a pic of an Aircraft Carrier on the Suez Canal. I've read about those Chinese canals connecting rivers and they were really old. Ideal design would be to have an "Early Canal" and a "Modern Canal" - Early has easier requirements to build but can only allow "small" ships, and Modern requires Engineers, an Early Canal or River on the tile, and allows all ships.

An argument could be made that a Canal should give a trade bonus like a River does, but I did not do that because then you could add a Canal to tiles worked by a city just to get that trade bonus, which seems wrong.