Setting up tech transfer for 2.6 based longturn.net game

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
wieder
Elite

Setting up tech transfer for 2.6 based longturn.net game

Post by wieder »

We are doing the tech trade with a unit based setup and this is because we want to limit how often the techs can be traded and also making it more difficult to give the techs away. It's mostly something that works for multiplayer games and not that much for single player.

We have a unique scholar unit that will have a fixed probability for stealing the techs. This could be 50% and it's independent from other diplomatic actions. Diplomats and spies can't steal techs. All of this works ok.

Now we would like to add a cost for both parties of the tech trade. The receiving party would get 20% penalty for the bulb balance and I think this can be done with the freecost server setting. However it looks like there is no similar setting for making it possible to add cost for the original owner, or is there such feature? It looks like the original owner could lose the tech with some probability but that might be too much and also not that good for a game with no tech holes allowed.

Another feature that would be useful for this setup would be forgiving some of the tech debt without losing techs. I thought I saw such setting but I can't find it now. The desired effect would be never losing any techs because of tech debt and also forgiving some of it every turns. Something like 20% maybe. So the question is if this behavior would be possible with ruleset settings?
cazfi
Elite

Re: Setting up tech transfer for 2.6 based longturn.net game

Post by cazfi »

wieder wrote:Another feature that would be useful for this setup would be forgiving some of the tech debt without losing techs. I thought I saw such setting but I can't find it now.
Do you mean techlossforgiveness?

Code: Select all

> explain techlossforgiveness 
Option: techlossforgiveness  -  Research point debt threshold for losing tech
Description:
  When you have negative research points, and your shortfall is greater
  than this percentage of the cost of your current research, you forget
  a technology you already knew.
  The special value -1 prevents loss of technology regardless of
  research points.
Value: 0, Minimum: -1, Default: -1, Maximum: 200
wieder
Elite

Re: Setting up tech transfer for 2.6 based longturn.net game

Post by wieder »

Yes. I mean that setting. Do I understand correctly that it requires techs to be lost for forgiving the debt? I had the impression that it was possible to forgive like half of the debt without losing any techs.