Civ2Civ3 Ruleset in Europe Scenario?

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
milsu

Civ2Civ3 Ruleset in Europe Scenario?

Post by milsu »

I have tried the Civ2Civ3 ruleset for the Europe scenario, but it still gives me the default ruleset. Is it possible to play the map of Europe with the Civ2Civ3 ruleset somehow?
XYZ
Elite

Re: Civ2Civ3 Ruleset in Europe Scenario?

Post by XYZ »

Btw, if you wanna play a more realistic Europe map you may wanna use the Europe 1900 scenario as template. I heavily edited the map so it's much more detail-rich. You would have to get ride of the players or the respective techs and roads/rails/farms/mine though... But I think it's worth the effort!
milsu

Post by milsu »

Thanks, I usually edit the map a bit myself to match my taste.

The map of Europe lacks Egypt and Libya, and Scandinavian land connection with Finland, and also Black Sea should be connected with Aegean Sea, but also it should have ground connection between Asia Minor and Balkan Peninsula. That is why I usually paint two rows of land in North Africa to connect Middle East with Tunisia, and also two rows of land between Scandinavia and Finland, and I join Asia Minor with the Balkans, so that ground units can pass, but I also keep the connection between Black Sea and Aegean Sea.

I want to play a Mediaval scenario for Europe, and it would be much better with Civ2Civ3 ruleset, to have more powerful knights and crusaders, and elephants also, but it doesn't work in the map of Europe for some reason.

Btw, knights should have more defensive power than dragoons and cavalry, because they are armored. And I can't see the logic why crusaders should have less defensive power, they should be stronger than regular knights both in attack and in defense.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

milsu wrote:I have tried the Civ2Civ3 ruleset for the Europe scenario, but it still gives me the default ruleset. Is it possible to play the map of Europe with the Civ2Civ3 ruleset somehow?
In freeciv-2.6 and earlier only by editing the scenario file.
Freeciv-3.0 and later has some mechanisms for ruleset and scenario compatibility (can't use ruleset that lacks a terrain/unit/building/etc present in the scenario). You can play scenarios supporting it (map-only scenarios included in freeciv-3.0 do support it) with compatible rulesets by first loading the desired ruleset to the server, and then loading the scenario.
milsu

Post by milsu »

I have Freeciv version 2.6.2, gui-gtk-3.0 client, on Windows 10.

I don't understand what you mean. When I start the Europe map and set the Civ2Civ3 ruleset in the beginning, stll the Classic ruleset loads. And in the editing mode, I can't find the option to change the ruleset.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

In freeciv-2.6 and earlier you would need to edit the scenario file in a text editor (file is usually also compressed, so you also need to uncompress it before you can load it in editor). It's not possible to do such edit in the in-game editor.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

The map of Europe lacks Egypt and Libya, and Scandinavian land connection with Finland, and also the Black Sea should be connected with the Aegean Sea, but also it should have a ground connection between Asia Minor and Balkan Peninsula. That is why I usually paint two rows of land in North Africa to connect the Middle East with Tunisia, and also two rows of land between Scandinavia and Finland, and I join Asia Minor with the Balkans, so that ground units can pass, but I also keep the connection between the Black Sea and the Aegean Sea.

I want to play a Medieval scenario for Europe, and it would be much better with Civ2Civ3 ruleset, to have more powerful knights and crusaders, and elephants also, but it doesn't work in the map of Europe for some reason.
I did connect the landmasses too when I let the AI recreate the Great War since Scandinavian and African parts simply stood idle by without a land bridge. The map was intended for humans to play but with AI you need to tweak it a bit. But go-ahead to post your tweaked map!

Are you planning on recreating a medieval Europe scenario? 30 Years' War would be huge!

Yeah, the current ruleset is bad even for Europe 1900. Would love to see one with more units. Augmented has some cool new units.
Currently, I'm hesitant to create more scenarios since the old maps are non-hexes maps and I don't wanna put time in outdated scenarios anymore.
If someone would create new hex maps and provide a more unit rich ruleset I would probably create some animated scenarios.
milsu

Post by milsu »

I just wanted to play the map of Europe with a Medieval settings, with technologies prior the invention of gunpowder, and Civ2Civ3 ruleset would have been the best, because of the crusaders, and the knights being more powerful having 3 for defense instead of 2. Also other units are more realistic too, for example archers having 1 for defense is more realistic than 2. But I can't get it why would the crusaders have such a low defense of 1, that makes no sense, but at least they are better in attacking than the regular knights.

I like to play with 2D maps and looking from above.