[2.6] Augmented ruleset modpack

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
XYZ
Elite

Re: [2.6] Augmented ruleset modpack

Post by XYZ »

École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr
I always wanted to pitch you the idea of the general staff wonder for a while since in my opinion it marks a big change in military operation/logistics/administration. Since the Prussian one is probably the most famous one I thought Scharnhorst or a pic of one of the Great General Staffs would do a good representation.

I also made a symbol for the imperialism government if you are interested.

Edit: Have you thought about adding wind farms/turbines? VladimirSlavik did some graphics: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... arm#p81282
Attachments
wind_turbines_visible.png
wind_turbines_visible.png (1.53 KiB) Viewed 12421 times
imperialism_1-1.png
imperialism_1-1.png (349 Bytes) Viewed 12428 times
general_staff_1.png
general_staff_1.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 12429 times
general_staff_2.png
general_staff_2.png (3.48 KiB) Viewed 12429 times
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Wahazar, can you post here some propaganda screenshots of your modpack with structures and units?
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Good idea with these wind farm - it can be a kind of mine located on irrigated hills, which give additional shield.

Is general_staff_1 a great but not a tall one?

Not sure what propaganda screenshots looks like.
I can put some screenshots from singleplayer sessions played for testing purposes.
Here are Americans surrounded by hostile Zulu, Portuguese and Frenchmen, while supported by Cheyenne:

augmentedis small tiles -
americans_s.jpg
augmentedi large tiles -
americans_a.jpg
Or maybe I will open new thread and show some play session cover story which can be used as a kind of tutorial?

BTW, I observed, that some AI have 100% of tax and therefore doesn't catch up science - seems that it is kind of hack, which goes wrong,
is it possible to disable it, or it is hardcoded?
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Is general_staff_1 a great but not a tall one?
Do you mean a small or big wonder? If you call it Great General Staff than I would consider it a big one like Sun Tsu's military academy, since it is the name of the Prussian General Staff. If only called general staff without great it could be any.
Not sure what propaganda screenshots looks like.
This comes close, I just wanted to see some new units in action on the battlefield. I dont test them. Thanks for providing both graphics!
Or maybe I will open new thread and show some play session cover story which can be used as a kind of tutorial?
This would be cool!

I saw that the pikeman and the halberdier look quite similar. In the latest amplio template you can find newer graphics that make them more distinct without altering them too much.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

XYZ wrote: Do you mean a small or big wonder? If you call it Great General Staff than I would consider it a big one like Sun Tsu's military academy, since it is the name of the Prussian General Staff. If only called general staff without great it could be any.
I meant, is general_staff_1.png a picture of Bonaparte?
I already have Small Wonder called Ecole de Saint-Cyr, but image is not clear, if general_staff_1.png is a Bonaparte, it fix well, becoause he was founder of that military school.
General Staff itself sound rather like tech, not a building/wonder - and it is good idea to put it between Leadership and Tactics, to avoid fast leap from Cuirassiers to Dragoons.

BTW, version 2.6.9 was released.
Most notable changes are new units: Missile (weak, but also A-A) and Armored Car (limited mobility, but faster than Cavalry, predecessor of Mech. Inf.), uranium as a strategic resource for Manhattan project (and cheaper upkeep or Nuclear Plants required for nuclear warfare),
celebrating tweaks for govs, 1 unit is always autoupgraded beginning from Metallurgy (but you can cease all autoupgraded making Warfare Museum).
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

I meant, is general_staff_1.png a picture of Bonaparte?
I already have Small Wonder called Ecole de Saint-Cyr, but image is not clear, if general_staff_1.png is a Bonaparte, it fix well, becoause he was founder of that military school.
General Staff itself sound rather like tech, not a building/wonder - and it is good idea to put it between Leadership and Tactics, to avoid fast leap from Cuirassiers to Dragoons.
Its Scharnhorst: "noted for his military theories, his reforms of the Prussian army, and his leadership during the Napoleonic Wars. Scharnhorst limited the use of corporal punishments, established promotion for merit, abolished the enrollment of foreigners, began the organization of a reserve army, and organized and simplified the military administration." (from Wikipedia)

So if you only call it simply General Staff it probably sounds only like tech but if you call it Great General Staff more like a wonder like Sun Tzu's War Academy.

Nice that you included the armoured car, when I have time I will add a proper shadow to the amplio version.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Version 2.6.10 was released, small tweaks and Road Bridge added.

Anyone interested for testing this modpack?
I will run server today evening.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

What about including a "New-World" Wonder?
Attachments
machu_picchu.png
machu_picchu.png (7.5 KiB) Viewed 12073 times
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Machu Picchu looks great, but any idea about its functionality/effect?
I need also Khajuraho wonder (would cancel Monotheism penalty on rapture growth), but no idea how to make graphics, which looks relevant but comply with game content rules...

BTW, Version 2.6.11 was released.
Y Plentyn

Post by Y Plentyn »

So, I tested the mod single-player against 20 "normal" AIs. I won a cultural victory with 2 AIs remaining shortly before inventing railroad. All other AIs had been killed - probably by the pirates.

Two comments:
  • pirates/barbarians should not start with legions - the game starts much earlier than the standard game, legions are quite killers at the time they appear
  • documentation is not consistent with reality - especially in case of early republic which can have 80% science/tax/luxury
All in all I really liked the mod.