[2.6] Augmented ruleset modpack

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: [2.6] Augmented ruleset modpack

Post by Ignatus »

In the command line where you start the client (look at the label you launch the program with), with fcgui script the option also works. I have not started Freeciv on Windows but it should work quite similar there.
VeryVeryLongUsername

Post by VeryVeryLongUsername »

Ignatus wrote:In the command line where you start the client (look at the label you launch the program with), with fcgui script the option also works. I have not started Freeciv on Windows but it should work quite similar there.
It functioned. Thanks a lot!

Also, I'd like to report the Eiffel Tower does not increases city radius contrary to what the readme of the ruleset says.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

VeryVeryLongUsername wrote: Also, I'd like to report the Eiffel Tower does not increases city radius contrary to what the readme of the ruleset says.
You need also have Railway Station in city and Electricity tech for such effect (I see now that seems I forgot to fix help text, thank you).
README.augmented.txt is also outdated, I decreased number of city radius effects to keep city window small (it is still to big without resolution trick or overhead tileset).
Currently, beside of City Hall, it is either Airport + Mass Transit + Combustion or before mentioned Eiffel+Railway Station+Electricity (exclusively).
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Version 2.6.5 released.
Some minor fixes, including before-mentioned city radius/vision (it is simplified now),
and important change to Celebration function: it does Rapture Growth in case of First Republic or Direct Democracy,
in contrary to Tile Trade Bonus for city celebrating under Monarchy, Republic and Democracy.
However Rapture Growth effect is ceased by Monotheism (which is root req. for Christianity and Islam).
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Aino

Post by Aino »

Wahazar, thanks for offering this. Just started trying it out. At first sight I really like the extra possibilities and the coherence of the tech tree, and 'realistic' touches like the early tribal phase, no irrigation without fresh water (without advanced tech) etc. Very cool.

Can't comment yet on the overall game, but here some early-game quibbles:

- when attacking a town with a ballista from a galley, the defending phalanx prevailed, and destroyed my ballista. This seems wrong: I was expecting that the ship-mounted ballista would be safe from counterattack except if the other player also used similar long-range units (or destroyed the ship, of course).
- The 'Amphitheatre' should probably be called 'Theatre', since it becomes available with Drama, and to match the graphic.

nitpicking:
- The 'Colosseum' should maybe be called by the generic term 'Amphitheatre'. (The 'Colosseum' is a specific amphitheatre in Rome. Even if in this ruleset it's a small wonder and hence there is only one per player, each player can have a 'Colosseum' which is sort of historically inaccurate/silly. Then again, if it is renamed 'amphitheatre', why have only one per player?)
- Similarly, perhaps the 'Viking' should be called something else? It's a bit bizarre to have e.g. Korean Vikings. Then again, the same can be said for 'Phalanx' and so on...
- What is the reasoning behind only allowing one Viking per player?
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Thanks for testing!
Aino wrote:- when attacking a town with a ballista from a galley, the defending phalanx prevailed, and destroyed my ballista.
It is normal freeciv combat behavior. Of course it may be unrealistic for some sort of units, but you can imagine, that phalanx survived so many ballista shoots, that this device was broken or run out of ammo.
By the way, ballista and its successors are designed mainly for ship2ship combat, they are weak against cities, and it is intentional feature.
Original ships were unable to attack cities, later ships attack cities by themselves, here you can run away ship after failed attack - weak turrets is a trade-off.[/quote]
Aino wrote: - The 'Amphitheatre' should probably be called 'Theatre', since it becomes available with Drama, and to match the graphic.
It is kind of ancient Theater. There is another, better Theatre building available together with Shakespeare (Globe) Theatre wonder.
BTW, any better idea of "Modern Theatre" name for such advance?
Colosseum was not only in Rome, I've seen similar in Syria, also made by Romans.
It must be Small wonder, because it multiply luxuries (Amphitheatre/Theatre work differently, add them).
Note, that Bank and Stock Market increase only tax, I decided to split luxuries and tax apart (but Marketplace increase overall Trade, to balance that).
[/quote]
Aino wrote: - What is the reasoning behind only allowing one Viking per player?
Special units, which can be overpowered compared to other available, are unique.
For example Longboat (this is viking's ship, thus I picked Viking) can go on open ocean, before Cog is available.
Viking or Corsair can attack from aboard (other ships or units on land), thus is only one, before Marines era.
List of all units is in /doc/units.xls spreadsheet, column P (comments) describe, which one is Unique or have other special flags.

Phalanx etc are units based on original civ series.
Of course, because I added some optional tech branches, mainly Asian, feel free to suggest some special units,
graphics are also welcome. My knowledge about this region is very sparse.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Version 2.6.6 was downloaded to github.
Unit system was reworked.
Firstly, I adapted Corbeau idea with cheaper units with higher upkeep, but it is properly balanced against Anarchy and other gov.
Secondly, "Land" class was split into separate classes: "Infantry", "Light Cavalry", "Heavy Cavalry", which have different mobility and ship transport opportunities.
Thirdly, there are separate barrack for infantry (two type, before and after gunpowder) and for fast land units (Stable Barrack, Workshop Barracks).
Latter ones are more expensive, but are obsoleted only once, and their tech range overlap (when infantry barrack are obsolete, you still have stables).
Fourthly, two ISO HEX tilesets are available: augmentedi (based on amplio) and augmentedis (small tiles trident-like).
Overhead tiles are no longer supported.
Aino

Post by Aino »

Disclaimer: (1) I realize full historical accuracy is not an option nor the goal of a Civ game, (2) it's your ruleset so it's up to you! That said:
Aino wrote:- when attacking a town with a ballista from a galley, the defending phalanx prevailed, and destroyed my ballista.
It is normal freeciv combat behavior. Of course it may be unrealistic for some sort of units, but you can imagine, that phalanx survived so many ballista shoots, that this device was broken or run out of ammo.
By the way, ballista and its successors are designed mainly for ship2ship combat, they are weak against cities, and it is intentional feature.
Original ships were unable to attack cities, later ships attack cities by themselves, here you can run away ship after failed attack - weak turrets is a trade-off.
Fair enough. Perhaps this could be indicated in the help text for the ballista unit, so the player knows what to expect? Also, from the help info, I did not expect that I would be unable to move the unit. (It says Move: 1 and "Speed is not affected by terrain", which suggests it can be moved.) Actually, it would be nice if you could move them, using some accompanying land unit, e.g. to a non-riverside fortress or to lay siege to a city. Historically, ballistas were used on land as well as on ships -- see e.g. https://www.ancient.eu/article/649/roman-artillery/. (It would be more realistic still if the ballista could be produced on-the-spot, but production is city-bound in FreeCiv of course.)
It is kind of ancient Theater. There is another, better Theatre building available together with Shakespeare (Globe) Theatre wonder.
BTW, any better idea of "Modern Theatre" name for such advance?
Not easy to find an alternative name for the advance -- I'd keep "Modern Theatre". But I'd call the ancient building "Theatre" (as in Greek θέατρον) and the modern one perhaps "Playhouse" (a term from the Renaissance).
Colosseum was not only in Rome, I've seen similar in Syria, also made by Romans.
The Romans built amphitheatres all over their empire. But only the big one in Rome is (later) called 'Colosseum' -- see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colosseum#Name.

A good overview of theatre and amphitheatre spectacles and buildings is at https://metmuseum.org/toah/hd/tham/hd_tham.htm.
Of course, because I added some optional tech branches, mainly Asian, feel free to suggest some special units,
graphics are also welcome. My knowledge about this region is very sparse.
It's refreshing that you added those tech branches! I don't know particularly much about them either, but I'll let you know if something pops into my head.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

New version 2.6.7 was released. Shortly: land units classes and barracks types are refurbished, see first post for description. Two tilesets are available, small and amplio, both for HEX ISO geometry. Some new facilities (Water Lock, Palisade), City Walls are city growth limiter above 32.
Aino wrote:Perhaps this could be indicated in the help text for the ballista unit, so the player knows what to expect? Also, from the help info, I did not expect that I would be unable to move the unit.
Thanks for notify, it is corrected.
Generally, for beginners, I recommend to switch on "Native Tiles" view (shift ctrl N) to see, where unit can't go.

I know that ballistas had wheels and were used on land, but for sane of upgrading rule, it belong to turrets class, which are rather immobile (however I'm often using Armored Train just to transport these from inland factories to the coast).
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Slave
About the slave unit: is it a captured enemy worker or do you have to produce it? Differently asked, is it possible to change a unit after a certain action? Are all slaves liberated by the "Abolition of Slavery" wonder?
I have the idea to introduce motorized infantry with trucks, it would would be interesting if they were able to abandon their trucks to be airlifted by a transport helicopter and become simple rifle men.

PS: attached some simple slave sprites
Attachments
machine gunner2.png
machine gunner2.png (599 Bytes) Viewed 11407 times
Slave-1.png
Slave-1.png (621 Bytes) Viewed 11505 times
Slave-1.png
Slave-1.png (2.01 KiB) Viewed 11505 times
Last edited by XYZ on Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.