"Simulation" ruleset - WORK IN PROGRESS

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: "Simulation" ruleset, v2.x - WORK IN PROGRESS

Post by Corbeau »

LT56, to be played with this ruleset, is planned to start on Nov21.

Sign in (AND confirm participation) here: https://longturn.net/game/LT56Sim/

Main Discord info channel: https://discord.gg/sMgmbstqgh

Main LT56 information desk: https://discord.gg/sMgmbstqgh
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote: (All other versions of Freeciv have conquer-tech allowed.)
See Conquest_Tech_Pct effect of freeciv-3.0 and later.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Simulation Ruleset Wiki page is now up to date.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

I want to try out this ruleset, so downloaded the sim25.zip from this thread, and tried to use it as single player, but have a couple problems. 1st error is missing styles.ruleset - easy to fix by copying one from classic, they're all the same. 2nd error(s) from terrain.ruleset -

Code: Select all

Base section "base_pre-fort" does not associate base with any extra
repeated for 6 "base_XXX"s. I assume this terrain.ruleset file is working OK for the Longturn games but don't understand why it would be different for single player.
Also tried downloading from the github mentioned on the "Simulation Ruleset" wiki page - got different versions of the files, with the same 2 errors. Is the github version the latest?
Also noticed that the files say

options="+Freeciv-2.5-ruleset"
Is there a problem running them with 2.6.3?
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Dino the Dinosore wrote:Also noticed that the files say

options="+Freeciv-2.5-ruleset"
Is there a problem running them with 2.6.3?
2.5 and 2.6 rulesets are different, won't run without a reworking, I wonder how the server didn't kick it away before.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Re: "Simulation" ruleset - WORK IN PROGRESS

Discovered that the github mentioned on the "Simulation Ruleset" wiki page also can lead you to SIM26 and SIM30 as well as SIM25. The SIM26 appears to be intended for running with Freeciv-2.6.x and SIM25 with Freeciv-2.5.x (and SIM30 with Freeciv-3.0.x). This explains the problem i reported earlier. I got SIM26 to work on Freeciv-2.6.4.

Now my question is - I only see the stack defense penalty implemented in effects.ruleset in SIM30, not in SIM26.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Another question - SIM26 & SIM30 have a bunch of new buildings in buildings.ruleset, where can I get the needed "buildings-large.spec"/"buildings.spec" files and the graphics files?
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Dino the Dinosore wrote:Another question - SIM26 & SIM30 have a bunch of new buildings in buildings.ruleset, where can I get the needed "buildings-large.spec"/"buildings.spec" files and the graphics files?
The wiki page refers only to the last version of the ruleset. If you are interested in earier versions, you need to dig through the version changes at the end of the page (and think I haven't made the last update, but you can check the same stuff in the starting post on this forum). Why? Are you interested in playing 2.6?

As for buildings, there are no new images. Instead, existing pics are used for all units and buildings. You don't need to update anything, it is set to work with the standard image set.

There is an image set for the new units somewhere, made by XZY/Sketlux, but now I'm not sure where to find it. Maybe it's even attached to one of the posts in this or the older threads. But it contains pics only for Raiders and 2-3 new Musketeer-class units, nothing else.

Did you join our Discord? You wanna try the LT test game? It's slow enough to be very able to keep track, and you're in good company in the meantime :)
--
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

I'm just interested in seeing what ideas I'd like to recycle into the custom ruleset I'm working on. I particularly like the Tribal govt, the increased bombarders, the Communism Five Year Plan wonders, the reversed Sci/Tax/Lux rates, and new buildings City Hall & Port Terminal. I have figured out that the new buildings are using graphic_alt tags. I have hacked up graphics images for them (from public domain sources found on wikimedia) and offer them to use if you want. Would need to add entries in the "buildings-large.spec"/"buildings.spec" file. Sharing - it's what open source is all about ;)

Couple more things I can share are working version 3.0 implementations of wild animals and canals. I think they would fit with the Simulation ruleset philosophy of "more realistic".
Attachments
port_terminal.png
port_terminal.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 55612 times
city_hall.png
city_hall.png (11.97 KiB) Viewed 55612 times
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Thanks! Yes, I'm definitely interested in Canals, been thinking about them from start, but didn't get around to that topic yet. Also bridges.
--