Combat_Rounds effect: to kill or to survive?

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
bard
Veteran

Re: Combat_Rounds effect: to kill or to survive?

Postby bard » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:06 am

I think this only_killing_makes_veteran is good enough for gameplay purposes, and to avoid possible exploits.
One disadvantage, as pointed by Corbeau, is that veteran ranks would stop being "realistic", because units that survived many fights, damaging enemy units and losing hit points, would have no chance to get veterancy in the case that none of the enemies died.

Corbeau suggests to link the chances of veterancy to the hit points lost in battle. But I think the key factor to avoid exploits is to give chances of gaining veterancy only to units that had some chance to die in battle. I'd suggest linking the chances of getting a veteran rank to the chances of being killed in that battle, but I think cazfi patch is a simpler solution, and good enought for me.

cazfi
Elite

Postby cazfi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:13 am

Corbeau wrote:I'm not sure we are discussing the same thing. I'm saying that a Dragoon going around killing Workers shouldn't advance many - if any - veteran levels, while a Phalanx unit barely surviving the Dragoon attack should have a fair chance to get a veteran level, even if it didn't kill the Dragoon.

Yeah, but that's not a new issue with Combat_Rounds effect of S3_0, which we are trying to get working here. I'd say that overall overhaul of veteran level gaining system need to wait for freeciv-3.1 at this point.

cazfi
Elite

Postby cazfi » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:22 am

cazfi wrote:overall overhaul of veteran level gaining system need to wait for freeciv-3.1 at this point.

-> Feature #804347