Artillery turrets

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Wahazar
Elite

Artillery turrets

Post by Wahazar »

I'm now testing idea with artillery turrets and torpedoes.
Ships have increased DP and decreased AP, but can carry special cargo: turrets and/or torpedoes.
Turrets can be also mounted in fortress (it is the only native tile for them) or loaded on armored train.
I made two kind of turrets:
ordinary cannon turret
turret_cannon_a.png
turret_cannon_a.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
anti-aircraft gun turret
turret_aa_gun_a.png
turret_aa_gun_a.png (3.69 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
- the latter one is weak, but capable to destroy aircraft.

Additionally, there is torpedo, works like short-range (2 MP) missile but native to sea, fuel for 1 round
torpedo_a.png
torpedo_a.png (2.08 KiB) Viewed 4316 times
Now it is possible to customize ships, which can be more universal or have large firepower but need assistance.
different ships have different slots, for example:
destroyer - 1 slot for turret/torpedo
cruiser - 2 slots for turrets
battleship (obsoleted by AEGIS cruiser) - 3 slots for turrets
AEGIS cruiser - 3 slots for turrets, torpedoes or missiles
submarine - 2 slots for torpedoes
nuclear submarine - 4 slots for torpedoes or missiles.

I'm now trying to adjust values, so battleship with 3 artillery turrets can almost destroy other battleship (and lost all turrets), but need to attack by itself body to finish. Not sure if turrets should have veteran status?

Of course any coastal defence bonuses apply against turrets as well.

There is at least one issue: probably AI would had no idea how to use turrets?
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Artillery turrets

Post by Ignatus »

A great idea! Just losing all turrets in almost any attack doesn't sound good; I would suggest either make them bombarder attackers or, better, use 3.0 Combat_Rounds effect to make the turret less likely to be lost.

What about AI, I don't follow the recent changes but probably it uses transporters to get a non-marine unit to a non-marine target; so it will probably not understand that units suitable mostly for sea battles should be built and/or put in ships. Generally, the transporter is somehow called by the passenger so that the probability of being adjacent to a coast it is on increases, and when it comes in, it then drives the ship to his desired target; but somehow I have many times found allied AI units in my own ships which went in directions not known to them, so it may work some different way.
Wahazar
Elite

Re: Artillery turrets

Post by Wahazar »

Ignatus wrote:A great idea! Just losing all turrets in almost any attack doesn't sound good; I would suggest either make them bombarder attackers
Bombarder flag doesn't allow to attack from aboard, this feature is focused on aircrafts.
And in my opinion, it would by overpowered, having possibility to hit other ship/city and run away safe. Thus losing turrets hp is ok both from gameplay point of view and reality (finite ammunition, hot cannon's barrels, turrets destroyed by counter-fire etc).
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047