FSP(S)

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Lachu
Elite

FSP(S)

Post by Lachu »

FSP(S) doesn't mean Frame Stack Pointer (S) in this case. It means Fair Start Position (Scenario).

What I try to do:
1) set each player starting position to near other player starting position (I would like to create scenario for Progress, but this game is incomplete yet and I decided to learn how to create scenario for Freeciv, because Progress is basic on Freeciv. On progress there can exist foe units on the same title.)
2) Each player at start will have only settlers unit
3) Players cannot build city - this action would been activated for some turn at starting a game (for example 8th turn)

So idea is to allow players rather select starting position by ones own. Also, that make to science and religious beliefs, ordering us to belief humans starting expansion from one place.
Player see the same terrain at start, can move settlers on map, making more terrain know and once 8th turn start, players can built cities.

Can someone give me some tip?
I need one lua advice - how to find starting position in scenario. Additionally, I need to lock settings of map generator. I need also place settlers unit for each player.
Is there possibility to read current starting possition? That's could be awesome, because I can get starting position of one player. perform some offset for the others players and that''s all!

Sorry: maybe that's clear for me, but I should tell this. Player's doesn't have any military unit at start, so there's no worry about killing of settler, etc.
vodot
Veteran

Re: FSP(S)

Post by vodot »

Just some translation- to mimic the actual spread of humanity from a common origin, I think you're talking about a map-generator that starts all the players essentially on top of each other (with, perhaps, a small offset), but lets/forces them to move for 8 turns before they can start cities?

In Progress, I would imagine, you would actually start the settlers all off on the same tile, but of course this is not allowed in freeciv. The Progress version of this is actually pretty interesting- for low player-counts and a large starting continent, given that the settlers couldn't block each other at all (not even from entering their own tile). But with Freeciv's shared-tile restriction in place (even without true ZOC), high player counts, and a small continent... I could see this getting really dicey for whoever the poor sod is who moves last on his 9th turn; he is likely to have either nowhere to build or to be surrounded. You might not even have space to move anywhere at all; be trapped up against the sea, etc.

You'd also want to set the start date back a few thousand years :)
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

You correctly understood me.

In Progress this have some minus too, because players cannot built cities on the same tile - if two units of foes living on the same tile, building cities would be blocked.

I will try to think about this idea and maybe find an solution.
PS: Sorry for my English.
vodot
Veteran

Post by vodot »

Lachu wrote:You correctly understood me.

In Progress this have some minus too, because players cannot built cities on the same tile - if two units of foes living on the same tile, building cities would be blocked.

I will try to think about this idea and maybe find an solution.
PS: Sorry for my English.
Your English is great, and your ideas are very interesting! I'm really glad you're a part of this community :)