City_Radius_Sq and settler city range

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
meynaf
Hardened

City_Radius_Sq and settler city range

Post by meynaf »

I kinda like the concept of variable city size.
But there is a problem i'm currently facing.

In game.ruleset we have init_city_radius_sq.
In effects.ruleset we have City_Radius_Sq.
And it appears they're not always added together.
For the city size, ok.
But when a settler is about to found a new city, the range isn't updated (my city size depends on techs, not on city population). Only the initial value is taken into account.

Is there a way to alter the range a settler will show ?
Corbeau
Elite

Re: City_Radius_Sq and settler city range

Post by Corbeau »

Which values do you have?

And, are you saying that the red frame when settler is active shows one (smaller, incorrect) value, and when you actually build a city, the radius is another (bigger, correct) value?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

Corbeau wrote:Which values do you have?
Current values are 2 (initial), then +3, then +5 (pretty much like experimental ruleset which i copy-pasted but i stop one step before it becomes too large imo).
I use hex cells but this shouldn't change a thing.

Corbeau wrote: And, are you saying that the red frame when settler is active shows one (smaller, incorrect) value, and when you actually build a city, the radius is another (bigger, correct) value?
Yes, exactly. This doesn't show with experimental ruleset because there all cities start out with minimum size.
When the game starts it's correct. But as soon as the tech for a larger size is researched, city size raises normally but the settler still shows the old one.

I tried to start with maximum and then add negative values, but then the city radius always uses the maximum and there are unusable cells (like with a city conflict). The settler gives the maximum value as well, so it's worse than before.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

The outline drawn around city-founder units just uses init_city_radius_sq, I'm afraid; it doesn't look at effects at all.
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

JTN wrote:The outline drawn around city-founder units just uses init_city_radius_sq, I'm afraid; it doesn't look at effects at all.
Yes this is what i guessed from what happened.
It could "emulate" a city of size 1 located at where it is itself, to check the targeted city size.
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

Another, easier to implement solution : create some value such as settler_radius_sq which is used if it exists (else it's init_city_radius_sq like before).
It would then receive the maximum size, to indicate what the city will look like in the future.