new researches ?

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
meynaf
Hardened

new researches ?

Post by meynaf »

Hello,

Still working on my ruleset. Maybe for a release one day, if there is demand - who knows.
It is designed for very long playing (many turns) so that discoveries have the time to get used before being obsolete.
Researching has been made very slow and start date changed accordingly (and for the first time ever i could do it w/o hacking the savegame :ugeek:).

I'm now considering adding new items in the tech tree, especially at the end (real future techs, huh ?). Seems easy enough to implement.
Just lacking things to add right now, i'm opening this thread in case someone interested has ideas to share.

Could as well be a generic thread about ideas on new researches, maybe others are looking for the same thing ?
Perhaps it already exists somewhere - :oops: - but could not find anything (or i was too lazy to do a real search :lol: ).

Anyway here is what i already have thought about (none having been truly added yet, and not sure where to insert them either) :
. Plumbing (taken from civ2's data files - would allow Sewer System much earlier, but max pop at 16 without Sanitation)
. Telecommunications (with Electricity)
. Heliocentrism (to insert between Astronomy and Theory of Gravity)
. History
. Biology
. Psychology
. Geology
. Theory of Relativity
. Renewable Energies
. Molecular Biology
. Quantum Theory
. Atheism
. Astrophysics (or Cosmology ?)
. Nanotech
. Cryptology (req. Computers + Espionage)
. Cognitive Sciences
. Spy Satellites (could be useful if all units can be revealed on map)
. Networks (rather than the Internet wonder replacing SETI prg)

Phew ! That was just raw ideas, some material for brainstorming.
Anything to add ?
wieder
Elite

Re: new researches ?

Post by wieder »

You could make more powerful units with fusion and with the future techs. Like fusion bombers. Or maybe adding the super spies with some future tech? The ruleset can support a super spy. It's one that always wins against spies and diplomats.
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

I don't use spies so i'd rather add heavy tanks, sci-fi aircrafts, storm troopers, things like that ;)

Note that Fusion Power is indeed not really useful in standard rulesets, however in mine it allows nuclear plants to work without risk of meltdown.

Some researches are "dead branches" in the tree, i.e. they're not needed for anything but future techs. Would like to have them needed for something so everything would be worth researching.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

meynaf wrote:Cryptology (req. Computers + Espionage)
In radius I have cryptography (req. Espionage + Theology). It undoes the negative effect of communism on cathedrals, and obsoletes colosseum by cinema. The cinema is a "colosseum II", same idea as barracks I, II, III. Not really exciting, I just wanted to figure out how new techs and new buildings work:
radius.2.5.zip
(64.83 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
If you are looking for lots of ideas check out variant2, and don't plan anything else like working or sleeping for at least six weeks :-)
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

My biggest problem now is the lack of graphics and of anything the new researches would bring. They just reuse other things.
For new wonders I have used the ones that aren't used by the default ruleset, but that's all.
Anyway I have currently 170 techs in my tree.
drgerg
Veteran

Post by drgerg »

what about discovering printing press allowing Gutenburg's Bible as wonder and publisher (with corporation) to increase science output of a city
what about unlimited travel on rails only if you have discovered telegraph (requires electricity), telephone, & computers, otherwise travel on railroad is 6 squares with telegraph, 12 squares with telephone.
what about immunization, wonder if you could figure out a way to reduce the chance of illness