Units giving a production bonus

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
wieder
Elite

Units giving a production bonus

Post by wieder »

This is another feature where the idea was to implement something without the usual methods. Building a city improvement or a small wonder would do the trick but with a unit it would be something different.

With a spy on a city the city would get a production boost if the player is running a communistic nation. History-wise this would equal to party supervisor on a city. It would also embrace the idea that communistic nations need to use different kind of resources for keeping the empire running. This would also all to the strategies since the players could choose to use these resources in the case of emergency or if the gov is changed. The idea is also to give commies something because they don't have the trade bonus some other govs have.

What would be needed is checking if the city has a spy and if it does, there would be a boost to the production. I'm not sure if this is possible but I imagine it might be.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Units giving a production bonus

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

As far as I know, it isn't currently possible to check whether there is a unit of a certain type on the current tile; there is a ticket requesting this as part of a more general feature, which I opened a couple of months ago (hrm #695469), but as far as I can tell, it hasn't had any work done towards it by people more knowledgable regarding the Freeciv code than myself yet.
~ AVL
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why a military unit would have effect on production in the city. The rationalisation regarding communism may apply when it comes to police units, but there are no distinct police units in Civilization. Police is an integral part of a society and is tied to its own city and cannot be moved.

You can make some kind of numerical rationalisation for game purposes, but then you are creating an artificial rule that doesn't even have game-wise justification or motivation.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

wieder wrote:This is another feature where the idea was to implement something without the usual methods. Building a city improvement or a small wonder would do the trick but with a unit it would be something different.

With a spy on a city the city would get a production boost if the player is running a communistic nation. History-wise this would equal to party supervisor on a city. It would also embrace the idea that communistic nations need to use different kind of resources for keeping the empire running. This would also all to the strategies since the players could choose to use these resources in the case of emergency or if the gov is changed. The idea is also to give commies something because they don't have the trade bonus some other govs have.

What would be needed is checking if the city has a spy and if it does, there would be a boost to the production. I'm not sure if this is possible but I imagine it might be.
Wouldn't it be better if it was an improvement that did this instead? In fact, the Police Station could be used for such an effect. I've always been a proponent of the Police Station enforcing one unit of martial law, as well. (Requires two effects: Forced Content 2 effect & Martial Law Max -1 effect)
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Corbeau wrote:I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why a military unit would have effect on production in the city. The rationalisation regarding communism may apply when it comes to police units, but there are no distinct police units in Civilization. Police is an integral part of a society and is tied to its own city and cannot be moved.

You can make some kind of numerical rationalisation for game purposes, but then you are creating an artificial rule that doesn't even have game-wise justification or motivation.
Let's suspend realism for a moment – in principle, a context in which a unit increases production is conceivable. Maybe the ruleset is built on an entirely different basis, where turns, tiles, units and city sizes correspond to far smaller units of measurement. Maybe it's a ruleset that has legendary / unique units and the presence of one of them might have a positive (or negative) impact on the citizens and their work.

What I'm saying is, in principle, allowing requirements such as "specific unit type on tile" would allow for more possible rules that could find applications in actual rulesets.
~ AVL
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

If we are talking about a general concept of a unit influencing city output, then ok, but from one of the previous discussions I recall that something like that is doable in a ruleset.

I was only answering to a particular proposal.

Yes, it is possible that the arrival of the king does something to a city. my first thought would be that it empties money and food reserves. i guess other, a bit more out-of-mainstream-civ examples could be conceived.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...