Adding corruption (and waste?) with new cities?

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
wieder
Elite

Adding corruption (and waste?) with new cities?

Post by wieder »

Would it be possible to increase the corruption based on the number of the cities the player has?

For example, if the player would have n% corruption with 10 cities, would it be possible to add 2% more corruption and maybe waste if the player builds one more city? I mean doing this without using the empire_size_step settings.
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Adding corruption (and waste?) with new cities?

Post by dunnoob »

wieder wrote:Would it be possible to increase the corruption based on the number of the cities the player has?
There is no "number of cities" requirement in the effects at the moment, maybe it's a good idea, but it would take years to get it as implemented feature request in a stable version 3.1 or later.

Alternatively you could do something in this direction with the number of cities in a script now, but I can't tell if city outputs can be manipulated in a script.

The existing empire step size mechanism for more unhappiness with bigger empires is good enough for me: I start at 7+7... for anarchy up to 12+12+... for democracy, more than 25 cities is anyway boring as single player against AIs.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Adding corruption (and waste?) with new cities?

Post by Corbeau »

Yeah. The size with step can basically have the same effect. Because, if you look into the core of thing: corruption is simply "less trade -> less gold and bulbs". On the other hand, unhappiness-by-size creates non-working citizens that also effectively does this: it decreases worked tiles which, among decreasing shields and food, also decreases trade.

The thing that would be interesting to see is the other way round: "unhappiness by distance" with either:
- more unhappy people in cities far from capital (extremely realistic, when you think about it)
- more unhappy people in the whole empire if the empire is really big (copying the unhappines-by-size, only here "size" isn't number of cities, but instead real size, territory, land area) - this one is not really realistic and one would actually expect the oppoite effect: people being happier if their empire is bigger

But, again, I think most of these effects are covered with the currently existing rules.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...