Another defense against nukes

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
wieder
Elite

Another defense against nukes

Post by wieder »

Would it be possible to create a small wonder giving basic protection against nukes? This is intended to be the defense for those nations who can't yet build SDI.

The idea would be not to make the city nuke_proof but instead increase the defense in case of nuclear attack. This would allow the city to shrink and to have fallout in case of an attack but also let the units to survive almost untouched. The following effect didn't seem to work.

[effect_underground_facilities_defense]
type = "Defend_Bonus"
value = 2000
reqs =
{ "type", "name", "range"
"Building", "Underground Facilities", "City"
"UnitClass", "Nuclear Missile", "Local"
}

There is a new unit class "Nuclear Missile" and the name of the small wonder is "Underground Facilities." In the test game all the units inside died.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Another defense against nukes

Post by Corbeau »

wieder wrote:[effect_underground_facilities_defense]
type = "Defend_Bonus"
value = 2000
reqs =
{ "type", "name", "range"
"Building", "Underground Facilities", "City"
"UnitClass", "Nuclear Missile", "Local"
}
From Anatomy of Effects ruleset:

"Nuclear - Can only be built when Enable_Nuke effect is active. When this unit attacks, all units (including friendly ones) within 3x3 square area are destroyed. Size of the attacked city is halved. Attack might cause fallout to surrounding squares. "

I read this as: nuke is not an 'attacking unit', but instead, when it is activated, it makes "boom" and it is this "boom" that does the effect, not the unit itself. So, unless there is something in the ruleset that can tweak this "boom", I'd say it's a code thing.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Right. You're right and when you're right you're right.

Looks like it can't be done at least the way I thought it could be done. I tried setting the attack value of the nuke to 1 instead of 99 and all the units were still destroyed.

I suppose this also makes it impossible to build "a yellow cake" weapon. A dirty bomb that would only result with fallout while not destroying or harming units or cities.
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Instead of this there will be the first generation Nuclear Defense System small wonder able to block 95% of the nuclear attacks. This comes available with flight. This is only for LT40.

Now I wonder if it would make sense to change the traditional SDI also to use some randomness. The nuke_proof parameter is 100% with the civ2civ3 ruleset but it can also have lower values. As a result the new NDS has a value of 95%. Could be a lower value but maybe best to start with "conservative" settings for this :)

I wonder how big impact there would be if the traditional SDI would block the nukes with 90% certainty. If I remember correctly the commercial Civ 4 had SDI able to block 75% of the nukes.