2.6 plans and installing (was More diverse governments)

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Corbeau
Elite

2.6 plans and installing (was More diverse governments)

Post by Corbeau »

[moderator note: split from discussion of Policies "diverse governments" thread]

Oh, lovely! When is 2.6 coming out officially?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: 2.6 plans and installing

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

I don't think there's an official ETA yet, 2.6 hasn't even had any (official) beta versions released. I think data file format and network protocol are already frozen, since there are no tasks about that on hrm (as there are for 3.0), so any rule-, tile-, sound- and musicsets based on the current version will be compatible with final releases and there won't be many new features added. Thanks to cazfi, there are windows builds for testing purposes available for download: msys1 (32-bit only), msys2 (new environment supporting 64-bit systems).
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

2.6.0-beta1 is planned in coming weekend.

Follow https://www.facebook.com/groups/FreecivCreation/ to stay informed about things like that. ;-)
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Corbeau wrote:When is 2.6 coming out officially?
First there will be a beta1 (quote) within the next few weeks (unquote), after that hopefully a beta2 to get some new features tested, with bugs reported and fixed, and if that's okay it can be released as 2.6 (guess: early 2018). The new features include animals (barbarian nation), achievements (can result in cultural points for a cultural victory, but in a one year old 2.6.0-beta0 this didn't work for me), policies (no clear idea yet what it does, maybe I did not enable it correctly in my ruleset), musicsets (some menu/pregame, war, peace, victory music organized like city styles), and a turn end countdown (n seconds determined by the time needed for the previous turn end).
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Ok, maybe "officially" isn't the right word. I was going to ask when will the version that us plain non-programming mortals can install on our computers arrive ;)
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dunnoob wrote:The new features include animals (barbarian nation), achievements (can result in cultural points for a cultural victory, but in a one year old 2.6.0-beta0 this didn't work for me), policies (no clear idea yet what it does, maybe I did not enable it correctly in my ruleset), musicsets (some menu/pregame, war, peace, victory music organized like city styles), and a turn end countdown (n seconds determined by the time needed for the previous turn end).
There's a list of main new features: http://www.freeciv.org/wiki/NEWS-2.6.0
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Corbeau wrote:Ok, maybe "officially" isn't the right word. I was going to ask when will the version that us plain non-programming mortals can install on our computers arrive ;)
If you're on Windows, there are already "beta0" builds (which I linked to previously), and when the official betas around, there will be Windows packages as well. Other than that, it depends on whether you're willing to build it yourself (as it seems you already did once) or wait until whatever package managers you use update to the new version.
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Caedo wrote:wait until whatever package managers you use update to the new version.
Ubuntu-18.04 LTS is likely to still contain freeciv-2.5 (maybe 2.5.10). We hope to have freeciv-2.6 in time to make it to Ubuntu-18.10.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

When I start the Install Manager, the only available version I see is 2.5.1.
--
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote:When I start the Install Manager, the only available version I see is 2.5.1.
Accordingly to this page no Mint release should be in 2.5.1: https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... client-gtk ?!?

There's 2.4.2 in Qiana and 2.5.3 in Sarah.