[MOD] Non-Latin native names

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
AssassinLV

[MOD] Non-Latin native names

Post by AssassinLV »

I had started to make mod that changes all the country ruler names and cities into their Native languages even when those names are not written with Latin Letters.
Mod is not complete - but you can download country files separately from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bzti3 ... WpyYU5YOFk

How to install:
1) Copy downloaded rulesets to: GameDir\data\nation

If you want to join in creation of this mod - PM me.

List of Made countries:
  • Abkhazia (Georgian (2 leaders)[ქართული], Russified Abkhaz (1 leader)[Абха́зский язы́к], Abkhazian [Аԥсшәа])
  • Afghanistan (Bactrian (1 leader)[Αρια], Persian (1 leader)[فارسی], Pashto [پښتو])
  • Al-Andalus (Arabic)[العَرَبِية]
  • Aleut (Aleut)[Unangam Tunuu]
  • Algeria (Algerian Arabic)[دزيرية]
  • Amazones (Ancient Greek where is possible, Greek)[Ἑλληνική]
  • Arab (Arabic language)[العَرَبِية]
  • Arameans (Hebrew Aramean [ארמיא], Hebrew[עברית] (many cities have Turkish or English names - as neither Aramean nor Hebrew name could not been found (Require help here)))
  • Armenians (Southern & Western Armenian languages)[հայերէն]
  • Assamese (Assamese [অসমীয়া], Hindi (5 cities)[हिन्दी], English, Require help to translate cities from English and Hindi to Assamese.)
  • Bahraini (Arabic [العَرَبِية])
List of countries that can't be made:
  • Abyssinia (Does not support: የኢትዮጵያ ንጉሠ ነገሥት መንግሥተ)
  • In Algeria there where few Berber rulers - but sadly game does not support the berber font... (ⴷⵉⵀⵢⴰ (Queen Kahina))
  • Amazigh (Berber alphabet not supported by the game)
  • Assyrian (Syriac Aramaic charset is not supported by in-game font.)
  • Avar (No rulers/cities avaible in Avar language (Avar charset IS supported by ingame font))
  • Babylonian (Akkadian charset is not supported by the game)

Questions:
* I have small question in Arabic - There is city in Al-Andalus called in old times as Al-Harun (nowadays Faro (فارو)).. I could not find the Arabic version of the city name - but I did found ruler "Harun al-Rashid" (هَارُون الرَشِيد) so I took "هَارُون" and added "ال" to make "Al-Harun" - So the question is - Is Al-Harun written as "الهَارُون"?
*Is city "Bort Ghaka" (nowadays: Jaca) in Arabic written as "بورت غکة" (I was writing it my self - cause I could not find Arabic name at all.)?
*ِIs Sigüenza (Siqunza) in Arabic written as "سقنزة" (again written by me - because Arabic letter version I could not find)?

List of Words - I can't transcribe by my self: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xt6 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by AssassinLV on Tue May 31, 2016 6:57 am, edited 14 times in total.
AssassinLV

Re: [MOD] Non-Latin native names

Post by AssassinLV »

Few Screenshots:
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

AssassinLV wrote:List of countries that can't be made:
  • Abyssinia (Does not support: የኢትዮጵያ ንጉሠ ነገሥት መንግሥተ)
  • Ainu (Too little info - NEED HELP)
  • In Algeria there where few Berber rulers - but sadly game does not support the berber font... (ⴷⵉⵀⵢⴰ (Queen Kahina))
Here you probably mean that the font you are using does not have these characters, not that freeciv would somehow be unable to use such fonts. Or is there something more to this?

There probably isn't any single font that would contain all the characters you'll need.
AssassinLV

Post by AssassinLV »

Well simply the game can't show the characters and show only "boxes".

Sad that this game does not support trick from Win10 - search for System fonts that support the written characters - as the OS does not use only 1 font :)

While About Ainu - I can't write anything in it - cause there is no info how to write those cities and rulers in Ainu.
AssassinLV

Post by AssassinLV »

More screenies:

Here you can see Aramean city transformation step 1, note - All those cities with "REPLACE" are meant to be replaced or removed entirely - because they had never been Aramean city.

Here you can see completed work - note - for all the marked cities I could not find their Hebrew or preferably Aramean names..

Amazonian cities in Game:

Aramean cities in game
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

So, How can you find the capital city of the Amazones or the Arameans ?
What if we don't have all those extra fonts ?

Me thinks that you are opening a Pandora's Box with no obvious gain to Freeciv play or tech stuff.
Why do you want to do this ?
Last edited by Arbogast on Thu May 19, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AssassinLV

Post by AssassinLV »

Arbogast wrote:So, How can you find the capital city of the Amazones or the Arameans ?
What if we don't have all those extra fonts ?
That is not "special" font - it's the default in-game font.

About capitals - I'm not searching them (except for Arameans), as usually in the game cities have correct - Latinized names. So I just have to mostly rewrite them in the native language of the country (if in-game font supports the characters).

Late EDIT:
I do this mod - because I like quite an authenticity. :) And cities in native makes it more authentic.. I know that many can't read a lot of characters - as I can't read Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese and Korean :D - but still I would like to see those names in their language, instead of a name in English or for Aramean case - even wrong names...

About fictional names such as for Amazones - I just try to translate those names in Ancient Greek - as that is the language of those myths. While Arameans were actually real country - and has some history in some parts of modern Iran & Turkey.
AssassinLV

Post by AssassinLV »

New Screenshots with countries in New Languages

Armenian cities:

Assamese cities:
As you can see - many cities are in English - so I require here help - to change these cities into Assamese language