Freeciv as a teaching tool

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
groduick

Freeciv as a teaching tool

Post by groduick »

Hello,

I'm a teacher working with kids with learning difficulties, and I was thinking about using Freeciv (mainly freeciv-web, but I can switch to a windows version if needed) as a mean of teaching them some historical notions.

Before I immerse myself into the documentation, I'd like to know if there's an easy way to disable some features of the game (for example scientific research), because I really need to make the game a lot less complex.

Also, my google skills must be rusty, I wasn't able to find an editor to create (or at least modify) my own maps, only the edition mode in my client (freeciv-gtk 2.4.2 on Linux Mint 17.3).

Thank you for your answers, and congratulations to the team for a great game.

PS: is there anyone who knows about someone else using freeciv to teach history?
PPS: english isn't my mother-tongue, so please excuse me for any mystake
cazfi
Elite

Re: Freeciv as a teaching tool

Post by cazfi »

groduick wrote:I'm a teacher working with kids with learning difficulties, and I was thinking about using Freeciv (mainly freeciv-web, but I can switch to a windows version if needed) as a mean of teaching them some historical notions.

Before I immerse myself into the documentation, I'd like to know if there's an easy way to disable some features of the game (for example scientific research), because I really need to make the game a lot less complex.
Unless adjustments available as server settings are enough, you need to go to modified ruleset. Freeciv-web uses either one of the two rulesets available on the server, so this would rule use of freeciv-web out.
I've been thinking making a simple ruleset for my own kids to use, but unfortunately have had no time to actually do it.
groduick wrote:Also, my google skills must be rusty, I wasn't able to find an editor to create (or at least modify) my own maps, only the edition mode in my client (freeciv-gtk 2.4.2 on Linux Mint 17.3).
There is no separate editor any more, client's editor mode is already much more powerful than the old editor ever was. Why would you need a separate editor?
groduick wrote:PS: is there anyone who knows about someone else using freeciv to teach history?
Some teachers have at least made this kind of initial contact.
groduick wrote:PPS: english isn't my mother-tongue, so please excuse me for any mystake
What about the language of the freeciv to be used? Freeciv-web is available in English only. Desktop version has translations with varying decree of completeness.
groduick

Re: Freeciv as a teaching tool

Post by groduick »

Thank you for your answers, I'm going to have a look at the editor mode and rulesets, to see if I can get what I want.

By the way I'm french, so I guess that I will have to do with the windows version for my class.