Loading a 2.4 ruleset into 2.5...

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
nef
Elite

Re: Loading a 2.4 ruleset into 2.5...

Post by nef »

Corbeau wrote:Again, that is a problem only if you stick to the game mechanicsh for the purposes of sticking to the game mechanics.
Not sure I quite understand what you are saying here. Exploits are exploits and freeciv has been remarkable in not having as many as the commercial versions. One reason why I raised this issue is that it would/should be so easy to fix. One just shows the attack graphic over the city - no defenders needed. This would also fix this particular case of client "not responding" when there is massed bombard attacks and/or massed defenses.
In the first case the unit will probably be destroyed which will have the effect of "sacrificing unit for information",
I may have a problem with my game play. I rarely have to deal with AI fighters.
In the second case, if there is a bunch of attacking units near or around the city, in reality, they SHOULD be able to determine what is the defending force and not being completely oblivious about whether the city is defended by a skeleton crew of hastily patched up militia or there is a whole army corps fortified inside.
I never bother with nearby ground troops. Fighters against HP1 anything are perfectly good and and flock of paratroopers can clean up an entire player in one or two turns per city.

Which brings me to another gripe about Civ II going overboard with some of the new units: paratroopers are just so over the top. The were used to some effect in WWII but since then???? Para's dropping into cities, mtns, swamps, forests, jungles, - give me a break! Troop carrying heli's are now all the rage.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Loading a 2.4 ruleset into 2.5...

Post by Corbeau »

nef wrote:
Corbeau wrote:Again, that is a problem only if you stick to the game mechanicsh for the purposes of sticking to the game mechanics.
Not sure I quite understand what you are saying here. Exploits are exploits and freeciv has been remarkable in not having as many as the commercial versions. One reason why I raised this issue is that it would/should be so easy to fix.
That's the thing. I don't think it's an exploit nor an issue that needs fixing.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...