2.6 datafile formats

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

2.6 datafile formats

Post by cazfi »

We're approaching freeze of S2_6 datafile formats. BUT we've not done that yet, so now would be your last opportunity to comment the formats. The final freeze has been planned to take place on 02-Dec. Given the time required to turn a request to a solid feature, any change we agree to be important enough for doing so will likely postpone the freeze. Once the formats have been frozen, any new changes will need to wait freeciv-3.0.

I recommend Windows users to test with the 2.6-alpha1 build: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=315&start=20
While it's only a alpha of freeciv-2.6, it's probably the last windows installer build before the datafile formats freeze, and thus you last opportunity to test (and comment) the formats before they get frozen.
cazfi
Elite

Re: 2.6 datafile formats

Post by cazfi »

We pushed the freeze date by some months to make S2_6 formats more solid. Now we have 07-Mar-16 as the final freeze date. The only thing that should still change on that day, are the capability strings that get set to values indicating stable format. At the moment we have only four tickets against this d3f open (dependencies of task #7814).

I'm about to make an Windows Installer build early next month, hopefully with most of those tickets already resolved.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:We pushed the freeze date by some months to make S2_6 formats more solid. Now we have 07-Mar-16 as the final freeze date. The only thing that should still change on that day, are the capability strings that get set to values indicating stable format. At the moment we have only four tickets against this d3f open (dependencies of task #7814).
Actually, the date is 09-Mar-16. We now have zero tickets against d3f open. Last two of the tickets were closed today by deciding to postpone them to 3.0. Last (or latest, if we still find issues) change to S2_6 formats was made yesterday by adding "ExtraFlag" requirement type.

Now it's your last chance to comment on these formats. New features will not be considered, but reports about regressions compared to 2.5 or serious oversights in how things work can still have an effect.

I'll try to make Windows Installer snapshot build soon, so also Windows users can test things as they currently are.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote:I'll try to make Windows Installer snapshot build soon, so also Windows users can test things as they currently are.
http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... ha+r32098/
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

Many thanks...
What about that nagging blank Research window?
If you don't watch out it could cost you a lot per turn, I think...
bard
Veteran

Post by bard »

I was working on a patch for civ2civ3 ruleset that allows the construction of a 2nd palace (similar to forbidden palace in civ3), by using the new effect Gov_Center.
It requires the creation of a new building. If 2.6 dafile formats are frozen, does it mean that such change should wait until 3.0?
I guess so, but I may hurry the patch if still in time for 2.6.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Datafile format freeze applies to formats understood by the engine (such as the basic savefile and ruleset formats), not to the content of rulesets.

I would say you are free to make incompatible changes to the civ2civ3 ruleset up until it's released in beta1. At least, I believe that's the policy I came up with last time the question arose.
("Incompatible changes" = savefiles created with S2_6 svn civ2civ3 ruleset on day X might not load with the ruleset in svn on day Y; but because the underlying datafile formats are frozen, a dedicated user could just use the day-X civ2civ3 ruleset files with day-Y engine, say if day-X engine had a critical bug)

Adding new buildings does mean we have to scrape up new art from somewhere, so as much notice as possible would be nice, but I don't think you should let that stop you making the changes you want to the ruleset for the 2.6 cycle.
bard
Veteran

Post by bard »

Thank you, JTN.
I was trying to implement it in a way that it does not require new art, by using the same icon of standard palace, and preventing from building both palaces in same city, but I need to test it a bit more, now I know I'm in time.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

There's now first Windows test build after freezing the formats available from http://download.gna.org/freeciv/package ... ha-r32366/