220x140 Freeciv map: Azeroth (Warcraft universe) (v 1.1)

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Danquebec

220x140 Freeciv map: Azeroth (Warcraft universe) (v 1.1)

Post by Danquebec »

Hello, I have a made a map of Azeroth, the main world of the Warcraft universe, for Freeciv. I attached it to the thread.

Setting

It is set just before the War of the Three Hammers. So there’s no Teldrassil. The Redridge Mountains extend north and east in place of the Burning Steppes and the Searing Gorge. The Dread Wastes region in Pandaria is a forest instead of what it is now, as the sha have not yet appeared. And the island from where the Darkspear tribe comes from, in the Great Sea, has not yet sunk.

Method

The official maps of the world have always changed greatly, Blizzard often forgetting places they’ve created and deciding to completely change some lands. So I had to make some decisions myself. I generally went with the rule of “the first map is more accurate than the following ones”, as I am kind of a purist, but I also went with the rule of coolness. So for Northrend which has always been supposed to be a mostly frozen continent, which suddenly got lush forests and even jungles in Wrath of the Lich King, I decided to make it a mostly frozen continent. The maps I have used are the Warcraft computer games maps and pen-and-paper games maps. I also used this fan-made map a lot, which is a good attempt at making sense of the different maps.

You’ll notice how south Pandaria is. Before Mists of Pandaria, the location of Pandaria was not known. Though, we have known since long that Kezan was in place of where Pandaria was placed for the expansion. So I let Kezan at its former location and placed Pandaria further south (I find it also adds for the mysterious and exotic aspect of that continent).

For the island where Thrall and his orcs stop after a violent storm and meet the Darkspear Trolls, I placed it where it would make sense for Thrall to cross, supposing he would do the travel to Kalimdor by going south of the Maelstrom.

You’ll also notice that despite Mount Hyjal being a mountain, it is not shown as a mountain in my map. That’s because in Freeciv, mountains do not give food, while Mount Hyjal is supposed to be lush. So I portrayed it as a few hills and forests.

There is the map in bigger version, with places names.

I recommend 9 to 13 players on the map.

It is probable that I will edit this post in the future to update the map, since I might be unsatisfied with some parts of my map and decide to change them. Also, Freeciv doesn’t seem to place huts, I don’t know why. If I can find how I can tell it to place huts, I’ll update the map.

The map was tested on Freeciv version 2.4.4. Please tell me if you any problem.

I have used Tiled to create the map, produced CSV files of the terrains and the rivers with it, and then converted the CSV files to Freeciv map format with short Python programs I’ve made.

EDIT:
Version 1.1: And only minutes after posting, I realize some problems. The main is that Broken Isles are supposed to be submerged at this time, so I revomed them. And then there were some minor terrain modifications. So there’s now version 1.1.

Version 1.1.1: Permitted spacerace victory by default.
Attachments
azeroth-220x140-v1.1.1.sav.gz
(4.63 KiB) Downloaded 600 times
Last edited by Danquebec on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: 220x140 Freeciv map: Azeroth (Warcraft universe) (v 1.1)

Post by GriffonSpade »

Neat, though this should probably go in the rulesets or images sections. This one is for joining the staff, methinks. (I've been known to accidently put stuff here on late nights before realizing it the next morning)
Danquebec

Post by Danquebec »

Or maybe Community? I just noticed a map was posted in the Community section, and it could make sense to post maps there. I wonder if threads can be moved. I will ask a moderator.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Maps are technically a form of modpacks. (So are tilesets, but it makes sense to have separate art forum for those)
Danquebec

Post by Danquebec »

Thank you cazfi for having moved my thread to the appropriate section.

I didn’t know maps were technically a form of modpacks.