Converting units - requirements?

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Converting units - requirements?

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

So, I decied to start adding convertable units to my ruleset. The first one I did was that Settlers could be turned into a trireme class unit and back. Now, in order to not make ships available immediately, I had that boat require Seafaring. However, this only affected building the unit, not converting a settler to make one. That brings me to my question: Is it possible to add any requirements to the Convert action? If so, how?
~ AVL
cazfi
Elite

Re: Converting units - requirements?

Post by cazfi »

No.

Also, and you may encounter another problem too (one I've been thinking ways to fix in ... 3.0 maybe). Unit converts "in place". So it can only convert on somewhere where the target unit can be, and usually the original unit must have been able to move there. So, having conversion between land and sea units does not work as easily as one would hope.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Caedo wrote:So, I decied to start adding convertable units to my ruleset. The first one I did was that Settlers could be turned into a trireme class unit and back. Now, in order to not make ships available immediately, I had that boat require Seafaring. However, this only affected building the unit, not converting a settler to make one. That brings me to my question: Is it possible to add any requirements to the Convert action? If so, how?
It could be done for 3.0 by making the convert activity action enabler controlled. I suggest that you submit a feature request. That way it won't be forgotten.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:Also, and you may encounter another problem too (one I've been thinking ways to fix in ... 3.0 maybe). Unit converts "in place". So it can only convert on somewhere where the target unit can be, and usually the original unit must have been able to move there. So, having conversion between land and sea units does not work as easily as one would hope.
I already knew that before even considering unit conversions. However, since I made it a Trireme unit, that conversion can simply be done on a tile with a river (or, of course, in a city).
sveinung wrote:It could be done for 3.0 by making the convert activity action enabler controlled. I suggest that you submit a feature request. That way it won't be forgotten.
Done.
~ AVL
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

Caedo wrote:
sveinung wrote:It could be done for 3.0 by making the convert activity action enabler controlled. I suggest that you submit a feature request. That way it won't be forgotten.
Done.
We already had one. I should have checked before asking you to submit a feature request.