Changes in what a 3.0 ruleset can do

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
sveinung
Elite

Re: Changes in what a 3.0 ruleset can do

Post by sveinung »

The regular attack is now controlled by the "Attack" action enabler. See patch #7260

This isn't as awesome as it sounds. The target requirements are evaluated against the tile, not against any unit on it. You therefore can't use stuff like unit type requirements. I have a plan that may change this in the far future.

Things you can do includes creating an almost[0] (non absolute[1]) pacifist government type by making it disable regular (and other) attacks[2].

[0] City occupation isn't action enabler controlled yet.
[1] Units will still defend them self when attacked.
[2] You can already disable bombard, capture and the violent spy actions.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

OnNativeTile property added to the UnitState requirement type. See patch #7267

OnLivableTile tests if the unit can exist outside of a transport at its current tile. OnNativeTile tests nativity from terrain and extras. Unlike OnLivableTile it doesn't care about cities and safe terrain.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

sveinung wrote:OnNativeTile property added to the UnitState requirement type. See patch #7267

OnLivableTile tests if the unit can exist outside of a transport at its current tile. OnNativeTile tests nativity from terrain and extras. Unlike OnLivableTile it doesn't care about cities and safe terrain.
Hmm, no way to separate out nativity of terrain from extras, though, I take it?

Sounds like great work as always though, Sveinung.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

GriffonSpade wrote:Hmm, no way to separate out nativity of terrain from extras, though, I take it?
No shortcuts. In many cases (effect, action enablers) you can require the unit type (/unit type flag/unit class/unit class flag) + the terrain (/terrain flag).
GriffonSpade wrote:Sounds like great work as always though, Sveinung.
Thank you.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Coast-restricted units flags reworked; "Trireme" flag renamed as "CoastStrict" (unit with this flag can never leave coast).
New "Coast" flag added. It's meant to be used in conjunction with unit fuel property. The effect of the flag is that unit considers coastal tiles refueling points -> if it has fuel for one turn, it must end every turn at coast; if it has fuel for two turns, it must end every other turn replenishing water and food stock at some coast.
patch #6979
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

sveinung wrote:This isn't as awesome as it sounds.
If it allows me to fire on hills, mountains, forests, and so on with a BIG LAND unit not permitted to move on these terrains without a road, it is awesome, because it's the one and only reason why I'm not using BIG LAND. :o
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

dunnoob wrote:
If it allows me to fire on hills, mountains, forests, and so on with a BIG LAND unit not permitted to move on these terrains without a road, it is awesome, because it's the one and only reason why I'm not using BIG LAND. :o
Hmmm, can the attacker's tile also be checked? Could wipe out any use for attack non native and attack from non native both, and even allow blocking attack non native from non native only.
sveinung
Elite

Post by sveinung »

dunnoob wrote:
Isn't that what the AttackNonNative unit class flag is for?
GriffonSpade wrote:Hmmm, can the attacker's tile also be checked?
Yes. Put the tile requirements in the action enabler's actor requirements.
GriffonSpade wrote:Could wipe out any use for attack non native and attack from non native both, and even allow blocking attack non native from non native only.
I plan to move attack from non native (AttFromNonNative/Marines) to the ruleset. It will be easier to do with action enabler controlled city occupation. It is currently prioritized below some work I need to finish before the 2.6 network protocol freeze.
Having the "Attack" action enabler replace attack non native is more complicated. The relationship is between the actor unit and the target's tile. It could be solved by using many action enablers (attackers x terrains/extras). It could be solved by some action enabler specific test. It could also be solved by keeping it as a unit class flag.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

sveinung wrote:
GriffonSpade wrote:Could wipe out any use for attack non native and attack from non native both, and even allow blocking attack non native from non native only.
I plan to move attack from non native (AttFromNonNative/Marines) to the ruleset. It will be easier to do with action enabler controlled city occupation. It is currently prioritized below some work I need to finish before the 2.6 network protocol freeze.
Having the "Attack" action enabler replace attack non native is more complicated. The relationship is between the actor unit and the target's tile. It could be solved by using many action enablers (attackers x terrains/extras). It could be solved by some action enabler specific test. It could also be solved by keeping it as a unit class flag.
I was actually thinking along the lines of not allowing triremes and boats to attack land from within a city (technically they should be in the harbor, and unable to attack all the way across the city). There are buildings in the way and such after all. I guess it wouldn't technically be 'non-native' since cities are considered native to all units.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Added concept of tech class: patch #7354

They are optional feature in a ruleset, and in this initial version their only property is "name" of the class that gets shown in help of each tech.